Imaginary coordinates - or maybe real ones

RobertLG

I am working on a story for young people, and have been thinking of developing one of the woodsy characters as one who goes around his home pond taking lat/long readings and carefully recording them. This would not be the main character. Just another one of the locals.

I would prefer that the coordinates around this pond be unreal - not traceable to anywhere real. It is an imaginary pond, in an imaginary world. But I'm not sure I can pull it off, since anyone with even a nodding acquaintance with lat/long could "locate" the "pond" if I used standard coordinates. Does anyone have any ideas for giving "real-looking" coordinates that lead to nowhere?

If I have to, I will consider using real coordinates. But if so, it would then help to locate a real pond, an attractive one. The pond I have in mind would be perhaps no bigger than 100 feet across, or even a bit smaller. It would have an inlet, and an outlet (preferably a beaver dam). It would have a deep part, and shallower areas, with maybe a small sandy beach. Ideally, my pond needs to be in the country, away from the roads and buildings.

It may be that there is a pond that meets most of my needs. If so, it would be great to see some pictures of it, AND if it is used, I could use the real coordinates of some of its features. Are there any here who might have seen some sylvan ponds fitting some, or most of my needs?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

RobertLG

Please excuse me if I also post my request to each of the regional groups.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Just use coordinates in the middle of the ocean.

If you need a real pond, check out my http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36371 cache.

N32 23.902 W124 49.216

This puts you about 400 miles west of L.A. not the middle but its empty.

would you rather it was atlantic Ocean??

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Just use coordinates in the middle of the ocean.

If you need a real pond, check out my http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36371 cache.

N32 23.902 W124 49.216

This puts you about 400 miles west of L.A. not the middle but its empty.

would you rather it was atlantic Ocean??

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

quote:
Originally posted by RobertLG:

I would prefer that the coordinates around this pond be unreal.

Any Lat greater then 90 deg and any Lon greater then 180 will be totally unreal.

N 91 12.345 w 181 56.789 Should be somewhere in the middle of nowhere-land. icon_smile.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by RobertLG:

I would prefer that the coordinates around this pond be unreal.

Any Lat greater then 90 deg and any Lon greater then 180 will be totally unreal.

N 91 12.345 w 181 56.789 Should be somewhere in the middle of nowhere-land. icon_smile.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg