How much is enough?

I've noticed that there is an individual in my geographic area that's gone plum crazy hiding caches EVERYWHERE in my lovely state!!

I'm impressed to see people who have found 100's of caches, but am not sure I enjoy the apparent monopoly that's been started by one over zeolous person.

Should I care? What do you think?

Added.... icon_rolleyes.gif Please see my responses below.

[This message was edited by MadCity Hunters on August 31, 2002 at 12:37 PM.]

[This message was edited by MadCity Hunters on August 31, 2002 at 12:43 PM.]

i would suggest that you read my posting to the cachepolice. me, i am in it for the fun and exercise. personnally i look up caches on a map and then decide if i want to find it, i only want to improve my navagation abilities. i am also not impressed with the number of finds by people. so what, compete with yourself, and not others, simply to improve your abilities

MadCity Hunters, based on where your finds are located, and a search of other caches placed in that area, I'm betting that (a) the issue you discussed is the same one that was just debated here and that (;) you will be wishing that you owned more fire extinguishers for the flames that you will soon feel.

If you don't like a cache, don't hunt it. If you don't like the idea of all the "good spots" being taken by other hiders, then get out and hide your first cache already.

I live smack in the middle of an area that was saturated with twenty or so cache placements between spring of 2001 and spring of 2002. Am I angry at the person who hid all those caches, "taking away" all the nearby parks? No way. I'll be forever grateful to them for increasing interest in the sport, including my own. I've written to them to ask permission to "share" a park by adding a second cache of my own in a different area of the park, and they readily agreed.

If you think there's too many caches in Wisconsin, look up the map for Washington or California. Or look at the map for South Dakota and be grateful that someone has offered so many caches for you to hunt.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

Hot mitts are on!

It's true...I guess my emotions got the best of me. I'm prepared for the punishment...those who express their unpopular opinions usually are.

As a newcomer to this hunt....I should have known better to post the question.

Added: Please see response below

[This message was edited by MadCity Hunters on August 31, 2002 at 12:46 PM.]

Looking at it from 1000 miles away I gotta say this...

You registered in June of 2001 but found your first cache 6/22/2002. Seems like you were kind of slow to find your first cache. If it was a big deal it seems you would have found more than two in a one year period. You have now found 10 (as of this post). In the 14 months since you registered you have not even placed a single cache. I do not think you can ask for people NOT to place caches since your involvement in this sport/hobby/adventure has been limited at best.

I think I know which cacher you are complaining about, and they have been at it for about three months if it is the one I am thinking about. It seems like you have had quite a head start, but have done very little to advance Geocaching in your area. I have placed a bunch of caches myself, but no one has complained about me placing caches before. Most people are grateful that I think about it and work hard to place caches for them to find. It seems totally unfair to criticize someone when you have done little yourself in a period over four times as long.

I also totally agree with The Leprechauns. When I started in my area there were about 40 or 50 caches around my metro area. Now there are well over 300. I am HAPPY about it. I went to San Antonio a little while back and there were about 15 caches. I created a virtual to give the metro cachers a little back. No one complained a bit about it and the logs have been sparkling! (By the way, THANKS San Antonio, I had a great time while there!!!)

Bring them on. The more the merrier. I bet you even eventually hunt one of those caches you are complaining about!

Better have that fire extinguisher ready! icon_eek.gif

I support the Georgia Geocachers Association, or the GGA!

quote:
Originally posted by MadCity Hunters:

Hot mitts are on!

It's true...I guess my emotions got the best of me. I'm prepared for the punishment...those who express their unpopular opinions usually are.

As a newcomer to this hunt....I should have known better to post the question.

I'm glad I read this post before I replied to this thread. No flame here. It seems you understand your mistake.

That places you heads and shoulders above most people that post on internet forums and mailing lists.

Happy cachin

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

Thanks for the honest replies....they surely met the goals of my original question....

Sometimes you do not know what you do not know. I've had little contact with others even remotely intested in maps, GPS, cache hunting....I've always been dubbed the geek or wierd guy for enjoying these things.

I thank you all for the validation I've sought...and as for my ignorant comments....I'd like to apologize. Thanks for setting things straight. Maybe one day I'll have a bit more time to boast greater involvement and contribution to the sport.