False log entries?

Geo Leo

I really see your point, and I've often thought about people like that. But just for a minute, then I remember why I geocache. (Just for fun and excercise) I know some people are really competitive at it, and that is to be expected. I just like the fact of finding caches (honestly). You can't really control other people. Besides, what goes around, comes around. People like that, get what's coming to them sooner or later. That's the way I think about it. By the way, thanks for being the first person to log my first cache. I thought no one would ever get to it!!!

<

On February 21, 2002, this cacher logged caches in Wisconsin (GC3244), Ontario (GC31A7), and Illinois (GC3097). Busy day I guess.

Then on February 22, 2002, he logged two caches in Georgia (GC3A18 and GC38BF), three in Pennsylvania (GC2AFC, GC3507, and GC350A), one in Texas (GC2C00), and one in Alberta (GC36FA).>>

I thought I knew exactly who you were talking about but the person I had in mind only has 30 to 40 caches logged so far. Still -- there is the same bizzare pattern. several logs posted the same day in widely scattered states and locations. He actually came to my attention because he reported having found one of my caches after I had already verified it had been missing for several weeks. After i updated my cache to indicate it was missing (and that I would replace it soon) he realized his mistake and edited his log. My curiousity aroused, I checked his 'caches' found' list and low and behold I discover he's some kind of super cacher.

Oh well. If someone feels the need to pad their log reports and cheat himself of the experience of actually visting the caches I guess it's his loss. I just find it amusing some people feel so competitive about how many caches they've logged that they would resort to cheating.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/26453_300.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

What if the guy is an airline pilot or has a job which requires him to fly to different cities each day with enough of a layover/stay to hit a few local caches. Just a thought.

A guy out in the woods in his airline uniform searching for geocaches between assignments . . . and to think I felt "out of place" snagging the "easy" local caches in my tuxedo before/between/after jobs.

Picture this . . . it's almost midnight, it's pouring rain, and here's this tuxedo-clad guy with a flashlight and umbrella collecting caches in NY's Central Park. Gee, if only I could sing and dance, this could be a Gene Kelly movie! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

What if the guy is an airline pilot or has a job which requires him to fly to different cities each day with enough of a layover/stay to hit a few local caches. Just a thought.

A guy out in the woods in his airline uniform searching for geocaches between assignments . . . and to think I felt "out of place" snagging the "easy" local caches in my tuxedo before/between/after jobs.

Picture this . . . it's almost midnight, it's pouring rain, and here's this tuxedo-clad guy with a flashlight and umbrella collecting caches in NY's Central Park. Gee, if only I could sing and dance, this could be a Gene Kelly movie! icon_wink.gif

As a daughter of an airline pilot... NO WAY! I've tried to visit Dad at DFW in between flights... it's a jog from one terminal to the other. When he reaches his final destination, he has less bearly 8 hours to sleep before his return flight.

No single person could log all these. It's either a fake or a team. Either way, I don't care. That's why the milestone prizes aren't such a good idea unless you're a paying member. And even then... how would you REALLY know? This is a game not a competition. (Unless you're going to the Event Cache and they have games and prizes there! icon_razz.gif )

txjacksons.gif

As a daughter of an airline pilot... NO WAY! I've tried to visit Dad at DFW in between flights... it's a jog from one terminal to the other. When he reaches his final destination, he has less bearly 8 hours to sleep before his return flight.

No single person could log all these. It's either a fake or a team. Either way, I don't care. That's why the milestone prizes aren't such a good idea unless you're a paying member. And even then... how would you REALLY know? This is a game not a competition. (Unless you're going to the Event Cache and they have games and prizes there! icon_razz.gif )

txjacksons.gif

I think that in any activity where there is more than one participant, there is an element of competition.

I prefer to look at it from the perspective of "personal challenges" . . . challenge yourself to do, perhaps, a longer hike than you would normally do. Or choose an adventure that entails more challenging terrain than you normally traverse. Or seek a supremely well hidden cache . . . or just get in your car and just see how many caches you can cram in in one day before daylight fades or boredom sets in.

The last method definitely builds stats the fastest, but I've found it to also be the least satisfying.

While that wasn't my whole purpose, I have created a couple of multi-virtual caches (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15958 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=17421) that require info from the first site to log the final objective. The other reason was to make virtual caches a little more challenging.

I'm not saying that they could not be done from home, but it is not quite as easily done.

CCCooper has found both of these and I have no doubt that they were actually there given the information provided and previous correspondence.