garmin gpsmap 76s??

Biscuit

I am currently using the 76S. Although I haven't used any other GPS's I am impressed with this one. For a start, as a piece of electronic equipment it is designed so well. It's tough. Drops are no problem as it has rubber around the outside to absorb the blow. Its water proof and therefore dust proof and sweat proof.

Mine seems to get reception neally anywhere. Alot of caches I read in the logs that people "lost reception due to heavy tree cover" or "lost reception due to tv transitors". I haven't had any problems with reception when outside.

The sensors seem to work well. The barometer seems to be able to pick out height differences of about a meter when I have been playing with it. Basically, put the unit on the ground and pick it up. Cool. The compass is great also. Nice to have a compass that you can tell to point "true" north.

The only slight thing I would change is that it needs some more processing power or a better graphics processor to render all the maps. Sometime if you have full detail switched on it can take maybe 10 seconds to redraw. Guess its not a big problem.

Other thing is that this one can't do street navigation so you can't plot a course between 2 addresses and it will work out the shortest route. Not really a problem if your using it in the bush. It can load routes from a PC using the mapsource software and they follow then through the streets.

All in all, I am happy with it. Only other choice I might have taken is the GPS V. Tony.

Im using the standard GPS76 model and it works very good. I would think the GPS part of it would be the same as the 76s or 76map, so i would definitely recommend it. The only thing that i would do to improve it would be to move the cable connection port from the back to maybe the bottom end of the unit. Gets in the way at times being on the back. Great unit otherwise!

I came from the little yellow to the 76s in April. On June 30th at 4:00 pm it died on me (bad memory chip, I believe). It was sent back to the factory and a brand spanking new one that still thought it was in Taiwan was sent to my doorstop with in 2 weeks.

I went nuts without it. Had to revert back to the little yellow. icon_eek.gif

Now I have the Ram Mount and the cigarette lighter adapter. Never leave home without my GPS 76s!!!

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I came from the little yellow to the 76s in April. On June 30th at 4:00 pm it died on me (bad memory chip, I believe). It was sent back to the factory and a brand spanking new one that still thought it was in Taiwan was sent to my doorstop with in 2 weeks.

I went nuts without it. Had to revert back to the little yellow. icon_eek.gif

Now I have the Ram Mount and the cigarette lighter adapter. Never leave home without my GPS 76s!!!

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I recently had a chance to demo the map76s as well as the Meridian Sportrack pro, and of course had my venture along as well. Hated the sportrack (the Meridian's are great though) but loved the map76s. It was unbelievably sweet, only down side was the size, little big for backpacking. But a great caching unit, with very very solid sattelite lock and some cool features.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

I was out with a fellow Geocacher who had the Map 76. I have the Legend. I did notice that under heavy leaf cover he was getting better reception than I was. Several times I lost the sats and he still had a lock

But the unit is a lot bigger than the Legend. I guess it has the advantage of a bigger screen, but it isn't something you can just toss in your pocket like I can with the Legend.

Overall it seems to be a great unit if size is not a concern.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller