PDA's.........HELP!

inceptor

My wife wants a PDA. I want her to have one that is GPS capable. I know from other threads that there are a lot of users out there. What are you using and why?

Yes, I have tried to research this online but, there are so many of them out there it gets confusing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and keep me out of the dog house for buying the wrong one!

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

I started out that route getting a GPS for my Palm III. That did not work out. If you are using a GPS for geocaching purposes I would think you would want a rugged solution. Currently, I use a Compaq Ipaq and am very happy with that as a PDA, but I would not want to use that as a GPS, I have dropped my Etrex many times with no problem wheres a PDA would have most likely been trash. I do bring my ipaq with me because I have usually cached the pages for the cache I am looking for. Also, most of the GPS sleeves for the IPAQ are as much or more than a quality stand-alone GPS.

Just my opinion

Chris

I agree with Goldkey. You are much better off buying her a decent PDA (as with Goldkey, Compaq Ipaq is my choice) AND a nice, weather-resistant, shock-resistant GPS.

I have dropped my Meridian, fallen on it, it has been sat on, fallen off of the truck bed-railing, rained on, fallen in a creek, etc. Any one of these incidents would have essentially ruined a $330 to $500 computer (what the PDA is). Computers are not meant to be abused, GPS manufacturers take into consideration that their products are for outdoor use and build them accordingly.

Besides, the attachments or add-ons that make PDAs GPS capable are bulky and awkward. I haven't seen one that fits decently into any type of small hip pack or camera-sized bag.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

I have a Handspring Visor Delux which does any PDA function that I ask of it. The handspring models have a very functional expansion port built into them. A magazine review of the available GPS options for a variaty of PDA's suggested that of all the available options, the best was the Magellan GPS Companion and even that was only marginally better then a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Having purchased the GPS Companion, I'd have to agree with that assement.

I paid $149 for mine at Staples with the intention that it would be a backup in case of problems with my Garmin Vista. The opposit has proven to be the case.

The GPS Companion is impossibly slow to track satilites and aquire a fix. The only time that I've ever gotten a lock on a location was when I left it turned on sitting on the dashboard of my truck for over 30 minutes. When I discovered that I had left it turned on, I was surprized to find that I had a position fix.

The electonic maps available to load into the PDA are interesting, but the software available for using it are primative and limited. Waypoints cannot be copied to another application or hotsynced. There are no route or tracking abilities.

If you have any interest in getting a GPS location fix. Then you can spend your money more efficently on a real GPS unit. If you intent is to get a backup gps (like I thought I was getting with my PDA), then you still consider a seperate dedicated GPS unit. If I were considering a backup unit for my vista, I'd take a closer look at the Garmin EMAP.

This will sound like a "yeah, what they said" post, but I think it's good advice. PDAs are pretty fragile compared to even a cheap GPS. While the convenience of having the log sheets and the GPS in one box sounds really tempting, the reality is that the GPS "strap-ons" for Visor or Palm are bulky things attached to a device that wasn't meant to be carted around in the woods.

I recently found an 8MB visor with USB on closeout for a good price and use it to cart around the sheets. I'm still experimenting with the software to slurp up the sheets. It usually stays in the car but I'm finding it more convenient than keeping the folder of sheets up to date. But a PDA to keep the sheets and log notes until you get back to your tube is pretty convenient.

I would agree with the other replys, dont mix PDAs and GPSs. However I have a handspring visor delux and find it invaluble for keeping geocache pages and locations. I always carry mine to log visits on site,and I can just cut and paste into the log sheets when I get home.I think we may be able to download geocache pages off site into a PDA format soon.

I use the Magellan GPS Companion on my Visor Deluxe. I don't use the OEM mapping software, 'cause it stinks. I use Mapopolis. NavCompanion (comes with the GPS) works great for waypoints, but every one has to be input individually.

I originally got this one to use with some aviation databases so I could have it for flying if I needed a backup (certainly not IFR certified, but if something happens, I'm IFR rated, and I'll take all the help I can get!).

I haven't had the satellite aquisition problems that DARC experienced, but instead have found mine to be slightly more accurate than my friends' eTrex and eMaps.

Frailty is an issue, although I've never dropped mine, I fear the day... And don't forget, all those nice spare batteries people leave in caches aren't gonna help you at all 'cause the companion (and the Visor) all use AAA. Don't know what kind of Palm she wants, Inceptor, but they're usually AAA or rechargable. I wish I could have shown you my setup at the breakfast last time.

Since you're near Dallas, you should go to Fry's Electronics. They're selling eTrex yellows for $79.99 (new, I think) on occasion - look at the lasted Friday ad to see if they're on sale. Sometimes they have even better deals. I want to get my wife a Visor Prism (going for $169 right now, refurbished).

I don't recommend against the PDA/GPS combo, but I wouldn't objectively recommend it for caching.

Good luck.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

GeoClipping

Use this application to clip information from the cache pages at Geocaching.com, formatted for the MemoPad application of your Palm.

The cache information will be cleaned up, and formatted to read nice in MemoPad. The content will be truncated to 4k, so it will fit one memo.

License to use is hereby granted to the GeoCaching community, released to the public domain.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rschoolf/geocaching.htm

[DARC]If I were considering a backup unit for my vista, I'd take a closer look at the Garmin EMAP.

------------------------------

[ALAN]Why? I have a Vista and I'm interested in your opinion.

Because the EMAP can use an external antenna, use my existing software and hardware, I suspect it would seem to be an ideal backup unit for travel needs and as a loaner if I should feel so generious.

[VentureForth]I haven't had the satellite aquisition problems that DARC experienced, but instead have found mine to be slightly more accurate than my friends' eTrex and eMaps.

To be honest, I have only achieved one satilite lock with my GPS Companion and while I took a waypoint to compare with my Vista it wasn't enough of an experience to form an opinion on accuracy other then the dificulty in getting a position fix.

When comparing the satilite sky view of the GPS Companion and the Vista, I notice that the Magellan frequently doesn't even know about certain satilites. It is as though its internal alminac just doesn't know about them. This may be one of the reasons why I have a hard time getting a lock.

I also notice that the signal strengh is erratic even for satilites that are clearly line of site dirrectly over head. A GPS resource site mentioned a hardware RF Fix for the Visor Delux but Handspring was quite firm that this was only a Visorphone fix and that since I didn't have a visor phone I didn't need it. I haven't persued the matter further.

The MAP Companion application available from Megellan is my preferred way of using the GPS Companion on my Visor Delux.

I've been using a GPS Companion with my Visor Pro for a couple of months. Here's some of my observations.

When it seems to take a long time to get a satitlite lock, try initializing. The only time I've had trouble getting a lock is when it thinks it's in another part of the world. I get a lock within 2 min. Initialization if very easy. The initialization map makes it pretty easy. Without it being initalized properly it could take up to 10 min. to get a lock.

As far as accuracy is concerned. I've compared it with my old Magellan ColorTrak and against corrds for caches. Nothing conclusive.

MapCompanion works good for street level maping. I wish I could put a way point in rather than an intersection.

I purchased the Companion becauce I didn't want the additional in my backpack of a stand alone unit. After purchasing I find there are some other advantages. The varity of software seems to be increasing that will work with this unit, PDA combination. Besides the stuff that comes with it I've tried Cetus and Fugawi. And will probably try some other stuff, since I haven't found the "perfect" software yet.

That's my $.02 worth.

Happy caching.

7301_400.jpg

[bYRON & ANNE] When it seems to take a long time to get a satitlite lock, try initializing. The only time I've had trouble getting a lock is when it thinks it's in another part of the world. I get a lock within 2 min. Initialization if very easy. The initialization map makes it pretty easy. Without it being initalized properly it could take up to 10 min. to get a lock.

--------

Whenever I plug in my GPS Companion into the Visor Delus, the GPSR always comes up as needing to be initialized. When I did get a location lock, it didn't save the location in the visor. I tried entering coordinates from my Vista in it to try and speed initialization but it didn't help get a lock.

[bYRON & ANNE]As far as accuracy is concerned. I've compared it with my old Magellan ColorTrak and against corrds for caches. Nothing conclusive.

---------------

My main concern about GPS Companion acceracy is that there is no indication on estimated accuracy when I did get a position lock. With my vista, I get an estimated accuracy under 20 feet under good conditions. I don't know how much to rely upon the position fix if I did get one.

When you find a good GPS software that works with the GPS Companion, please let everyone know.

Went out and made another attempt with the visor Delux and Magellan GPS Companion during today's lunch trip.

Was unable to get a location fix after fifteen minutes with MAP Companion.

Replaced all Tripple-A batteries with fresh alkalines and still unable to get a fix after 10 minutes with MAP Companion.

Pressed the reset button on the Magellan GPS Companion near the serial number label and was still not able to locate satilites after 10 minutes with Map Companion. After all this the satilite display showed only three satilites that mached my vista's display.

Of special note was that the battery power of the Visor was noticably being drained. Especially with after batteries were installed.

Turned off Map Companion and Selected NAV Companion and it showed a satilite view that matched the Vista and it initialized peoperly with all satilites found in 2 minutes.

When the visor was turned off and back on, the position lock took place within 15 seconds after starting NAV Companion.

When I exited NAV Companion and started MAP Companion, it immediantly reported the proper location. The MAP Companion's initialization data was filled out and automatically showed the proper location on the map display.

I took a waypoint with both the Vista and the GPS Companion and they were almost identical except for altitude.

My Vista reported:

N41 56.301 W072 43.147 Altitude 233ft Accuracy 18 feet.

Visor Delux with GPS Companion reported:

41 56.301N 072 43.147W Altitude 232.9 Accuracy Unknown.

I finally got it working thanks to Byron & Anne

although it still doesn't report accuracy and I can't copy waypoint data to my workstation without resorting to manual transcription. After getting a stable fix with NAV Companion, the battey level of the Visor seemed to stabliized and not drop as it had been during the early part of the test. I suspect that the handspring is thrasing the serial part trying to initialize the GPS companion with MAP Companion.

I'm glad DARC got his GPS Companion to work. I reread some of the instructions last night. I noted that it is recommended that when you first plug in the Companion that you let it get a fix with the initial software before changing to the software of your choice.

I also ran some of the same time tests and got about the same results.

Happy caching.

Byron

7301_400.jpg

I'm glad to see that it is working well for you. I guess I just assumed that you were initializing. icon_rolleyes.gif Sorry 'bout that.

A quicker way to initialize is on Nav Companion, click on the Position screen (accessed from the top right hand side), then tap the menu icon in the graffiti area, then tap Options, then tap initialize. It will show you a world map, and you can tap in the genearal vicinity of where you are, and if you know your altitude, get within about 50'. That will allow it to initialize in as little as five minutes next time you change the batteries out or you have to do a hard reset.

Another thing I want to note is that the GPS will not shut off for 2 minutes if you leave the application and then go back to the GPS program. None of the software features will funtion (ie: tracking, speed, etc), but it will be running as soon as you click back onto GPS Companion or Nav Companion. This makes it handy if you want to do something on the memopad or use another application real quick and keep track of where you are. You can even shut the machine off for less than two minutes and the GPS will still be running.

Hope that helps! Sorry I wasn't any help earlier. I was just thinking you had a defective unit. My bad. icon_frown.gif

---------------

I'm glad to see that it is working well for you. I guess I just assumed that you were initializing. icon_rolleyes.gif Sorry 'bout that.

A quicker way to initialize is on Nav Companion, click on the Position screen (accessed from the top right hand side), then tap the menu icon in the graffiti area, then tap Options, then tap initialize. It will show you a world map, and you can tap in the genearal vicinity of where you are, and if you know your altitude, get within about 50'. That will allow it to initialize in as little as five minutes next time you change the batteries out or you have to do a hard reset.

Another thing I want to note is that the GPS will not shut off for 2 minutes if you leave the application and then go back to the GPS program. None of the software features will funtion (ie: tracking, speed, etc), but it will be running as soon as you click back onto GPS Companion or Nav Companion. This makes it handy if you want to do something on the memopad or use another application real quick and keep track of where you are. You can even shut the machine off for less than two minutes and the GPS will still be running.

Hope that helps! Sorry I wasn't any help earlier. I was just thinking you had a defective unit. My bad. icon_frown.gif

---------------

I tried using the GPS Companion 1.10 software that comes up when you first plug in the GPS Companion. That was unable to initialize in 15 minutes and came up with a blank satilite sky map.

The MAP Companion 1.2 that was downloaded from MAGELLANGPS.COM also came up with a blank sky map and was unable to initialize after 15 minutes.

The NAV Companion 2.1 that was downloaded from MAGELLANGPS.COM came up with an accurate sky map that matched my Vista. After experimenting with this a bit, I believe that makes all the difference on getting the Handspring Visor and the GPS Companion to behave somewhat functionally.

[byron & Anne]I reread some of the instructions last night. I noted that it is recommended that when you first plug in the Companion that you let it get a fix with the initial software before changing to the software of your choice.[byron & Anne]

The initial software on plugin is the GPS Companion 1.10 Application which failed to initialize for me and wouldn't get an accurate sky view of the satilites compared to my vista.

The PDF on the GPS Companion unit is pretty sparse. These Groundspeak threads have helped me more with this unit then anything else.

[VentureForth]I guess I just assumed that you were initializing. Sorry 'bout that. A quicker way to initialize is on Nav Companion, click on the Position screen (accessed from the top right hand side), then tap the menu icon in the graffiti area, then tap Options, then tap initialize. It will show you a world map, and you can tap in the genearal vicinity of where you are, and if you know your altitude, get within about 50'. That will allow it to initialize in as little as five minutes next time you change the batteries out or you have to do a hard reset.[VentureForth]

I was using this initialization technique. What I've since done is afix a label on the front of my GPS Companion with my home coordinates. When I initialize in NAV Companion, I position the final pointer screen to the aproximate location on my label. This is what seems to help me get a faster initialization.

[VentureForth]Another thing I want to note is that the GPS will not shut off for 2 minutes if you leave the application and then go back to the GPS program. None of the software features will funtion (ie: tracking, speed, etc), but it will be running as soon as you click back onto GPS Companion or Nav Companion. This makes it handy if you want to do something on the memopad or use another application real quick and keep track of where you are. You can even shut the machine off for less than two minutes and the GPS will still be running.[VentureForth]

I've noticed that MAP Companion will shut down the GPSR after a few minutes. You suddently get a message saying that the GPS Companion cannot be seen, when that application told it to shut down in the first place. icon_confused.gif

[VentureForth]Sorry I wasn't any help earlier. I was just thinking you had a defective unit.[VentureForth]

Glad for your input. Mostly happy that it has only turned out to be a finess technique and not something that needs a trip to Handspring.

Although, better software from Magellen couldn't hurt icon_frown.gif

I tried using the GPS Companion 1.10 software that comes up when you first plug in the GPS Companion. That was unable to initialize in 15 minutes and came up with a blank satilite sky map.

The MAP Companion 1.2 that was downloaded from MAGELLANGPS.COM also came up with a blank sky map and was unable to initialize after 15 minutes.

The NAV Companion 2.1 that was downloaded from MAGELLANGPS.COM came up with an accurate sky map that matched my Vista. After experimenting with this a bit, I believe that makes all the difference on getting the Handspring Visor and the GPS Companion to behave somewhat functionally.

[byron & Anne]I reread some of the instructions last night. I noted that it is recommended that when you first plug in the Companion that you let it get a fix with the initial software before changing to the software of your choice.[byron & Anne]

The initial software on plugin is the GPS Companion 1.10 Application which failed to initialize for me and wouldn't get an accurate sky view of the satilites compared to my vista.

The PDF on the GPS Companion unit is pretty sparse. These Groundspeak threads have helped me more with this unit then anything else.

[VentureForth]I guess I just assumed that you were initializing. Sorry 'bout that. A quicker way to initialize is on Nav Companion, click on the Position screen (accessed from the top right hand side), then tap the menu icon in the graffiti area, then tap Options, then tap initialize. It will show you a world map, and you can tap in the genearal vicinity of where you are, and if you know your altitude, get within about 50'. That will allow it to initialize in as little as five minutes next time you change the batteries out or you have to do a hard reset.[VentureForth]

I was using this initialization technique. What I've since done is afix a label on the front of my GPS Companion with my home coordinates. When I initialize in NAV Companion, I position the final pointer screen to the aproximate location on my label. This is what seems to help me get a faster initialization.

[VentureForth]Another thing I want to note is that the GPS will not shut off for 2 minutes if you leave the application and then go back to the GPS program. None of the software features will funtion (ie: tracking, speed, etc), but it will be running as soon as you click back onto GPS Companion or Nav Companion. This makes it handy if you want to do something on the memopad or use another application real quick and keep track of where you are. You can even shut the machine off for less than two minutes and the GPS will still be running.[VentureForth]

I've noticed that MAP Companion will shut down the GPSR after a few minutes. You suddently get a message saying that the GPS Companion cannot be seen, when that application told it to shut down in the first place. icon_confused.gif

[VentureForth]Sorry I wasn't any help earlier. I was just thinking you had a defective unit.[VentureForth]

Glad for your input. Mostly happy that it has only turned out to be a finess technique and not something that needs a trip to Handspring.

Although, better software from Magellen couldn't hurt icon_frown.gif