Thorlos Hiking Socks

I'm all about keeping my feet cool. I really hate sweaty feet. Sandals are my footwear of choice because they don't require socks. Nothing is as breatheable as naked. icon_smile.gif

However, Thorlos socks are the best sock I've ever worn. They're incredibly well made and keep the sweat at bay.

We were very impressed after seeing them in Just For Feet, but after spending over a hundred clams on shoes, I couldn't bring myself to pay $14 for a pair of socks. Naturally, I dug around online and found that REIOutlet.com had Thorlos MiniCrew hiking socks on clearance for $6.93 a pair. So, I took a chance and ordered a pair for everyone in the family.

It was a very good purchase.

My feet were dry after a two hour hike. The only place minorly sweaty was between my toes and that wasn't enough to warrant a complaint. The varying densities of the stitching keep the sock in place on your foot. It feels like it actually adds a bit of support, too.

The manager at Just For Feet said he hunts in them all the time and won't go hunting without them.

So, give them a shot. You'll probably like them a lot.

Note that REI sells them at regular price of around $12, too, and that the closeout selection is dwindling.

Thorlo makes great socks and you can often get a good deal on them at Sierra Trading Post. STP also sells Rohner socks which are quite good. My favorite sock however is Smartwool.

I've had problem with blisters throughout my life. Since I switched to Smartwool socks, my feet have stayed dry and blister free.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

I suppose some folks would think this an utterly ridiculous post... Not me! I tend to shy away from expensive socks, because that's exactly my concern - sweaty, yucky feet. So I'm glad ya took the time to brag about these Thorlos. This weekend I shall hunt some down. I will check SportMart, and REI if need be. Are they by any chance sold at cheaper stores, like Walmart and Kmart? Or maybe Mervyns? Shoe stores? REI is a bit of distance (I prefer to use my gas for cache) but socks that keep the feet dry are a very good thing. I have a pair that's pretty good, but I don't know the brand. I hope they make 'em long enough (not "tube" socks, but definitely up the leg enough).

Hey, thanks for the heads-up!

Grandmaster Cache

I've been wearing Thorlos for years for hiking and walking and highly recommend them. I have seen them in Sportsmart and other stores that sell hiking and walking shoes, but not in stores like WalMart.

If you are ever in the Statesville, NC area, there is a Thorlos Factory Outlet there with great deals on irregulars and poor selling colors and sizes. I was able to get some purple hiking socks there for $2.50 a pair!

I've tried the thick thorlo socks, and smart wool, but for my money, there's nothing more comfortable, (or cooler) then De Feet bike socks. Nice and thin and come in a variety of colors and designs.

Bike socks in general are my favorite.

Geocaching.com should get some geocaching logos made up on socks. I'd buy them.

http://www.defeet.com/

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.