How do you handle keeping a cache a secret and intrusive muggles

Various things:

1) My log on this cache was my favorite. Ended up that an actual search for sunglasses provided cover!

2) I have pretended to tie my shoe while people went by on a bike path.

3) I have pretended my GPS is a cell phone

4) I waited and came back later

5) I told a person who asked that we were playing a game and that seemed good enough for her.

6) A person once directly asked me what the GPS was for and said he had one but wondered why I was using it at that location. So I explained geocaching to him. He seemed quite interesed, but I didn't take him to the cache. Instead, I told him to go home and check it out. Don't know if he ever did.

pokeanim3.gif

I've heard that some folks actually set up diversionary routines to distract the uninvited onlooker while they participate in a hide or find. Seems to me that a diversionary tactic might be in order for a find, but for a hide I'd prefer to select a location or time of day when the "muggles" are napping.

"Today's truth remains valid only as long as it withstands the test of tomorrow's discoveries" - George Hicks

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

Pull out a trash bag and start picking up trash. It is amazing how fast you will become ignored to avoid the guilt trip they receive for not doing the same thing. icon_smile.gif

Cheers!

TL

LOL! That is the best suggestion I've heard as far as "acting" goes. Like gallahad says, though, I just go for times when no one is about.

While searching for a cache in Wilmington NC I was being watched by two fishermen very closely. I finally went over & "explained" to them I was searching for a "Venus Flytrap" which I'd heard lived in this area only. They figured I was nuts & went on about their business. I found the cache later & moved on with no problems.

quote:
Originally posted by Ltljon:

While searching for a cache in Wilmington NC I was being watched by two fishermen very closely. I finally went over & "explained" to them I was searching for a "Venus Flytrap" which I'd heard lived in this area only. They figured I was nuts & went on about their business. I found the cache later & moved on with no problems.

What you talkin' bout?