caches along a route?

Unfortunately kc there is no easy way as yet. It has been discussed in these forums a few times and I don't think any method has been clearly established.

For what it's worth here is what I do. First of all in Microsoft Streets & Trips I create whatever number of circles at the maximum 100 mile radius. I position them on my route so that they overlap somewhat and then I establish a set of coordinates for the centre of each circle(in your case 2 circles may do it). Then I do a .loc pocket query for each one and open the resulting file(s) in GeoBuddy. I merge the files and GeoBuddy will eliminate any duplicates from the overlap areas. I then save the file as a .csv for S&T and download as pushpins to the map and then pick and choose the desired caches on my planned route. I then open the aforementioned .csv file in excel and delete all the caches I don't want and then import the .csv list into my mapping software (Fugawi) from which I can download to my GPSR.

Whew! What a convoluted way of doing it. I won't even try to describe how I get those particular caches into my Palm PDA.

Cheers and good luck, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

The feature is already here, sort of, if you are a Charter Member who uses ClayJar's "Watcher" program with Pocket Query GPX files.

Beginning with Version 1.31 of Watcher, you can draw a rectangle of any size and ask Watcher to return only the caches that fit within the latitude and longitude boundaries specified. For example, in English, you are telling Watcher to "ignore all caches north of my house at [Latitude], or south of my destination at [Latitude], and ignore all caches that are more than 20 miles east or west of the north-south route I'm traveling on."

Granted, there are limits to the latitude and longitude boundary feature as it now exists: you can only draw a rectangle, not a parallelogram, and plenty of highways run in directions other than due north-south or due east-west. But over a short distance, this feature is invaluable for planning a day's worth of caching that starts with the notion of "I'll drive west for 100 miles or so."

And, as Olar describes above, you can always run multiple pocket queries and tack your "rectangles" together. Watcher also allows you to merge mulitple GPX files together, after you've filtered them to include just the caches you're interested in.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.