I fear some of us are not following proper procedures

After reading several recent threads regarding caches being removed from various areas by land managers, I get the feeling that some (many?) of us are not following the posted rules and guidelines for placing a cache.

From the Guide to Creating and Hiding a Cache:

If you place it on private land, please ask permission before putting it there! If you place the cache on public lands you need to contact the managing agency to find out about their rules.

C'mon people! What is so hard about that? I've seen mention of 'Its easier to ask forgiveness that to ask permission.' Well in this case that's BS and is going to get this sport shut down. Already has in some places.

As many of the concerned land managers have stated, many parks have sensitive areas that should not be disturbed. By working with these land managers, they can help us to locate our caches in areas that will not cause harm.

On these very forums, many have tried arguing that this sport doesn't cause harm. I call bullcrap! I have found 63 caches so far, and I estimate that on over 75% of them, finding the cache was made easier byfollowing the social trail. If there was flattened grass leading straight to the cache, then we have caused harm. The funny thing is, in most of these areas, simply relocating the cache 10-25 feet one way or another would reduce or eliminate the trampling of vegetation, while still keeping the cache hidden from non-cachers.

I'm working on a multi-cache right now, and have chosen two possible ending points. I've already been in contact with the owner of one of them (the city Parks & Rec dept.) and am awaiting a response. It really wasn't that difficult. Just one week ago I started by sending an email explaining what I wanted to do, along with several links to specific pages of Geocaching.com. I also included my phone number, and later met someone in person at the cache site. So far the dialog has been quite favorable, and I expect approval soon.

Yes, it means sometimes we shouldn't place those spur-of-the-moment caches, but I have often found them to be undesireable on several levels anyways. The well-thought-out ones are always the best.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Lil Devil:

After reading several recent threads regarding caches being removed from various areas by land managers, I get the feeling that some (many?) of us are not following the posted rules and guidelines for placing a cache.

On these very forums, many have tried arguing that this sport doesn't cause harm. I call bullcrap! ....If there was flattened grass leading straight to the cache, then we have caused harm.

Lil Devil

Sooooo ..... "Don't step on the grass!" I guess I missed reading about this rule......

I don't mean to get your goat and I apologize if I do. But as STRONGLY as you feel about how some people are seemingly not following the rules, I feel just as strongly about how some of us are going overboard with concerns about the fragility of the environment.

What about the miles upon miles of trails along the Pacific Coast Trail? I guess John Muir did a lot of harm 'cuz I'm sure a lot of those trails were virgin grass back then! But then, I do realize that there is the need to regulate, otherwise the Pacific Coast Trail will turn into the Pacific Coast Desert.

Please ignore me. I am just ranting and do not mean to offend. I do tread lightly but tread I will. It just seems that we go to extremes on both sides of the spectrum at times. Maybe I should have lived back in the days of Lewis and Clark....

Totally agree that some are overly concerned about the fragility of the environment. I don't think, however, that was Lil Devil's main point.

Willing to be corrected, but I think the topic deals with the rules of Geocaching, the rights of property owners, and responsibilities of land managers.

Be Seeing You!

BUT!! In some areas that should be protected the land managers lea$e to cattlemen at just pennies per acre. Cattle wreak havoc on the land, streams and lakes. Hikers and campers don't bury their body waste. Stained t.paper blowing in the wind.

Even the local critters leave trails as they go about their daily lives. My caches will read "tread lightly". Pack trash out please...We can make it known that we as tax payers can make this a sport that cares about the environment.

. . . I still think the topic deals with the rules of Geocaching, the rights of property owners, and responsibilities of land managers.

For the record, I share in the outrage regarding abuses commited on both sides of the environmental issue including irresponsible land use and over protection.

Be Seeing You!

quote:
Originally posted by husqui:... It just seems that we go to extremes on both sides of the spectrum at times. Maybe I should have lived back in the days of Lewis and Clark....

Yes I can see it now…

“Hey Clark who’s that new guide?”

“Oh Lew, he’s not a guide, that’s Husqui our new porter. We’ve been trying to show him the way of the wilds but I don’t think he’s getting it.”

“What’d mean Clark?”

“Well for one he wears those big mukluks that got the foot print of bull moose and the step of a John Deere tractor. You ought to see the social trail he leaves every time he goes off in the woods to take care of business.”

“Well Clark, what’s the big deal anyway? The President’s sent us on this wild goose chase over hill and dale where there’s no one around except that cute Indian chick Sakakawea that you can’t take you eyes off of. I mean even if he does trample the bush, the only one who’ll know are those buffalo over there and considering how neat their hide is, I don’t think there going be around too much longer anyway.”

“But Lew how’s it going to look in the history books when they write about us litterers and wilderness destroyers?”

“Oh Clark, I think you’re too concerned about the wrong thing. If I were you, I’d be thinking what they say about you and Sakakawea. Do you really think anyone’s going to believe that she came along because we needed a translator?”

“Yeah I guess you’re right. Well, I’m going to check with that new porter to see if he’s got any fresh tobacco. There’ nothing like chewing outdoors where you can just spit where ever you want.”

"Yo, Lewis! Have you seen Sakakawea? I've been looking for that little hottie for the past hour."

"Well, ummm, yeah. She was so fixated on Husqui's mukluks and kept muttering something about big his feet are. She said she was going to show him how to ‘flatten grass’ in the Meadow of the Mink. Haven’t seen her or Husqui since. Not sure what she’s been smoking but she sure as heck wasn’t making sense to me!”

And so it came to pass that William Clark came up with the notion that the way to a woman’s heart was to have cool shoes. He then started designing his own footwear --- from moccassins to prairie shoes, from sandals to formal “sitting-around-smoking-the-peace-pipe” wear. Unfortunately, he never did hook up with the sexy Sakakawea (she liked his shoes but was never quite impressed with his size 6.5).

But his shoes soon became known for their excellent quality and comfort. And the rest, as they say, is history ……

quote:
Originally posted by husqui:...

But his shoes soon became known for their excellent quality and comfort. And the rest, as they say, is ……

I new he would turn out OK. Thanks for finishing the story. But then again you were there!

Alan