Geocaching classes at Utah Spa

They should have their own caches, that they place themselves, on their own property, and use those to train.

My reasons: If they have LOTS of people attending class, and point them to 'choose this cache' or 'choose 1 among 5' they may create an undue amount of visits on caches in the area.

If these aren't their own caches, then the cache-owner is placed with a heavy burden of maintaining a cache that has 10-20 times the 'normal' visitation rates of caches in the area. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

If these are on public property, having CLASSES find any of a small set of caches will place a HEAVY burden on the environment in that area. Do that on your own property.

If they want to publish their own caches on Geocaching.com, then they should open their property to any Geocacher who wishes to find those caches.

I have to admit that if I was a cache owner whose caches were being used by these people as part of their clasess I would have issues with this. The Spa is making a profit by something that I have spent my time and money on and have to maintain. Let the spa place their own caches, can't wait to see how Jeremy deciedes to handle this. I hope he'll let us know.

The spa is also makeing a profit by taking people on tours through national parks, on public bike and hiking trails.

I would love someone to use one of my caches as an example of that a cache is suposed to be.

It's a good thing...

They show the people how to use a gps.

They show them how to use the web site.

They give newbies a chance to learn the proper way to cache.

Show them how to put the cache back they way they found it.

And even explain that you need to go back on to the web site to log the find.

And the best part is, many of these people will go back to their homes and start caching.

For those of you who think it's easy to show a group of people how to do something, think again. Teaching is work and I'd say they earn that money.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

I agree with George. As long as their clients know that the cache (mine) is placed my a person not associated with their spa, I'd love them to use my cache ... that's why I place caches ... for people to visit. If the extra visits were more than acceptable for the surroundings, I'd consider moving it. Garmin sells GPS units and advertises the website (this one) and that seems to work okay.

I also agree that it's not easy to teach someone something for the first time. I would say that whatever profit they earn, they earn.

If the clients believe they are PAYING for something that I've given them for free, I would have a problem. That is to say, if the spa took credit for my work, that's another story.

There are not a lot of caches located near the spa (nearest caches). Some of them require an ATV or hi-clearance vehicle to get close to. In the summer (the peak spa season), temperatures often go above 110*. It's not the most freindly place to cache for beginners. Did I mention rattlesnakes, scorpions, taratulas, gila monsters, etc? Most of the spa's clientele are the type that don't stray far from established trails. All those factors narrow the list of available caches down to a handful. It would definitely be in the spa's best interest to maintain their own caches. Most of them would probably be in Snow Canyon State Park, and I hope they have the permission of the rangers to place them there. If they do decide to use the other caches in the area, it would be nice of them to reciprocate and let the local cachers try to find the spa's private caches.

"I've never been lost. However, I did misplace the camp for a few days." - Daniel Boone