Avoid the railroads

rdw

If all the previously mentioned reasons did not dissuade you, consider that there is now a terrorism warning regarding railroads. Story from Yahoo.

Already paranoid people will become particularly paranoid about activity near railroads. I'm not pointing this out as a set in stone rule, just bringing it to your collective attention.

I can't help but laugh about the scuba diver warning. What's next? A people in cars warning.

rdw

[This message was edited by rdw on May 24, 2002 at 02:50 PM.]

trucks are on the warning list does that make warehouse areas off limits too geocaching?

a HUGE number of urban geocaches are in warehouse areas

------------------------------------------------------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAcrossAmerica

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

http://www.cachunuts.com

[This message was edited by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah on May 24, 2002 at 05:01 PM.]

[This message was edited by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah on May 24, 2002 at 05:02 PM.]

[This message was edited by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah on May 24, 2002 at 09:46 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

I can't help but laugh about the scuba diver warning. What's next? A people in cars warning.

rdw

Does this mean that if I persue my plans this summer of taking scuba lessone, I might be deemed a terrorist and arrested? This "warning" (more like "joke") is going to kill (no pun intended) the scuba business.

Watch out! those people walking their dog might have a bomb hissen inside it!

Honestly, isn't it time to let it rest? I'ts been what? about nine months?

I in no way think that the Americans, or the world, should back down on security, but to attack scuba divers? Theres not much to scuba diving, and the courses basically teach air saving and survival techniques for an emergency. If a terrorist group wanted to plant bombs on cruse ships (was a big fear after 9/11) then they can just go buy the equipment, no training required. Well, none execpt on how to create and detonate a waterproof bomb.

Speaking of "underwater", what does this mean for submerged caches? Or caching in genera? What if the FBI comes out with a warning saying that "terrorist groups are leaving caches of weapons and explosive devices scattered theoughout wildnerness areas for their counterparts to locate using the Global Positioning System. Please raport anyone walking through the woods carrying a GPSr and stay away from this individual"

seems unlikely? just wait and see. If the FBI will warn against scuba divers, then you can be sure Geocaching is on the hit list.

*rant mode off*

wow! the longest one I've ever made, lol

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

This is the most dangerous thing I have seen posted in these forums yet. We should NEVER "let it rest". If you need a reminder about just what happened a short 9 months ago to steel your resolve again, watch the special "In Memoriam" on HBO tomorrow night.

The warnings are being put out for good reason. It doesn't mean you have to avoid everything, just use some common sense and keep your eyes open for anything strange.

The warnings are to keep people aware and vigilant, not make them afraid.

Just my $.02

Dep

quote:
Originally posted by Dep&Uno&Co:

This is the most dangerous thing I have seen posted in these forums yet.

Dangerous? what's the difference of me posting it or someone else posting the same thing? My whole point of that long post was to make poeple like you realize that Geocaching is most likely on the FBI's hit list.

I agree that "letting it rest" was a tad un called for, but I'm getting sick of hearing that everything I do is now considered a security threat.

I suppose the FBI is even going to warn that any teenagers thet want to get their drivers licence might be considering bombing a building with it.

You say that the warnings are not to make people affraid, but the general consensus is that people ARE affraid. They're just looking for a new thing to fear, and the FBI is feeding their delisiouns.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

The whole problem with the paranoi thing is that taking too many threats into account is no better than taking too few into account. In the one case you miss the real threat by spreading your threat response resources too thin, while in the other you miss the real threat by not paying attention.

"Everthing is dangerous" is no better than "don't worry"

The first time I ever experienced a cache was as a reporter participating in war games. I played the role of war correspondent accompanying a Special Forces A-Team in a wilderness area. Our first task was to recover a cache of military equipment that had been stashed a month before just off a trail in a state park within a 1/2 mile of a major road.

Somehow I don't think that A-Team did anything unique and wonder how caches like that stay hidden.