GPS Technology to find hotspots for wireless mobile PCs

With so many people out here, that would be cool! And there's not a darn thing that's illegal about it, either. There are some sites that detail where areas are, and I in fact can contribute one... the GPS coords would be the ideal way to go! I wouldn't mind going and sitting in my truck someplace pretty and doing all my work on my marine forum. Also too, one thing to keep in mind is that a signal sometimes might be received on the second floor of the exact same "location" where the signal is not strong enough on the first floor. If it's okay to post coords in this thread, cool! I think it's the right forum for it, but if it's not appreciated someone here can do it off their own website. I could always build a database for it, but we'd get the most exposure if we did it here - which means more pinpoints on the map! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Well, anyway I think it would be interesting. hehehe... Maybe those "find" number chasers could get a found point for every good coordinate. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif A fat wireless signal is an excellent cache, IMO! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Cool idea!

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Tank at: FISH WHISPERER'S LAGOON

quote:
Originally posted by MuzzleBlast!:

This thread may be flame bait but just because something's not illegal doesn't mean you should do it!

You have to be old enough to know that.

Leave other people's stuff alone, even if it's just wireless bandwidth!

While I understand your take on randomly scamming bandwidth, there are freely available wireless networks out there, intentionally open to all.

Their locations could be made available without moral issues...

Ron/yumitori

If a company is providing a service for free wireless connections, then of Course I see no problems! But then, why would you have to say "it's not even illegal"? icon_confused.gif

The idea of me looking out my window and noticing a vehicle with someone using my wireless set-up for their own laptop just tends to annoy me! icon_mad.gif

At the very least, it seems to me they'd be slowing me down from what I was doing and at the very worst, they could be seeing what I was doing! icon_eek.gif

But in either case, this idea reminds me of the thread of posting co-ords of places to buy ammo cans.

Happy hunting everyone! icon_razz.gif

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

Use 128 bit WEP encryption, if you have wireless at home. It’s trivial to set up, and provides a decent level of security.

There are rumors that the encryption algorithm has flaws, but those same rumors indicate that you have to ‘hang out’ for a while to exploit them, and collect large numbers of packets.

Irregardless of whether the rumors are true or not, the fact of the matter is that fewer people will be able to use your wireless network if you enable WEP encryption than if you disable it.

Also, some Wireless network access points allow you to use MAC filtering to restrict access to a wireless network - only certain MAC addresses allowed. Turn that on too, and it’s a bit harder for someone to use your bandwidth.

-J

Granted, the user who posted this thread originally is likely a troll given that he/she has posted only 2 messages and found only 5 caches, and any reaction from the forum is likely just what they were after, I would still like to chime in though.

This sport has both current and potential image problems.

Currently, places won't let us leave caches because they consider them litter or they feel we will damage fragile terrain.

With the terrorist/criminal issues afront, people out wandering around with GPS units looking for Wireless hotspots would strike me as a big red flag. Having recently completed training for Omaha's Citizen's Patrol, one of the scenarios we are trained to report is exactly this kind of unfamiliar individual acting suspiciously lurking around a building that doesn't belong to him/her.

Wandering in the park with a GPS is called hiking, no one notices. Wandering around downtown with a GPS and a wireless device is called "begging to be arrested."

Getting back to the moral issue, if we are ever going to get and sustain a positive image for the sport in the minds of non-participants, we have to have some self control and we should think about using the skills gained from this game for the benefit of the greater society.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

Regardless of what you think about my post, the wireless technology is here to stay and will only improve over time. The wireless sites I'm referring to are known public sites like coffee houses, hotels, etc.. Are you familiar with merging technologies? I found a site which listed cybercafes all around the world, but there's one huge difference, they're not wireless. As for the other reply regarding a similar post from last summer, the technology is changing so quickly, anything from last summer is outdated technology.

I wouldn't brag too much about the number of caches found if I were you. I wouldn't consider 23 finds all that tremendous compared to those who have found hundreds.

shutterbug85284

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Once again proving the difficulty of coming up with a topic that hasn't previously been discussed in the forums, here is a link to http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=6770936793&m=6220923794.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Lep,

Did you just "Markwell" this thread?

May I "Majicman" it now???

--majicman

I was watching one of those newsmag shows the other day and they were talking about this very issue. They did state that it is a felony, however.

Now on with the show...

I think caches like this are wrong and should be separated to their own part of the site where only pathetic people will pull them up and hunt for them.

Absolutely, I think if people break the law they should get arrested. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif And I'm all for private citizens groups "reporting" suspicious people. That way real officers of the law can respond without being accused of "stereotyping." Gosh, I don't know what would send me to jail first, popping up my laptop while parked in my car, or flying an Iraqi flag from my antenna! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Heck, I hope ya'll warned those threads where people use a laptop with their GPS when they're caching. Man, that's another go-to-jail arrest, huh? Or are we supposed to raise up a banner stating our purpose for having an "exposed" laptop in our vehicle. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifNot currently connected to wireless internet - just using enlarged map to show route to ammo box. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif ROTFLMAO!!

Grandmaster Cache

Oh, yeah... Minor point of observation.

You can't commit a felony if you haven't at least commited a crime. icon_wink.gif I think some folks are letting their imaginations run wild with visions of Grandmaster Cache "hacking" into their home computer and revealing all their "Hot young whatever" websites. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I don't believe those with an interest in wireless signal said anything about delving into the private files of others. I do believe that's a crime. Forgive me if the thread's original intent was hijacked by somebody thinking someone's out to get them. My, such self-importance. icon_biggrin.gif Maybe I'm naive, but I didn't think the first poster was a troll at all - in fact, I rather like the idea of wireless access points. (Point of clarification - we did not say: Personal Backdoor File Ports)

Of course, I understand that few threads don't have some "angle" or "spin" put on them so as to cause posturing of much grandeur and flourishing of admonishment. I should, at this point, recommend that some of ya'll buy a dog to train to obey your every whim. "Hey, I don't like that! STOP! Don't pee on that bush - Here, on this spot of paper! What? Your tail is wagging! Surely that can only mean you jest my new haircut! That's a felony! Off to your doghouse! I am your God! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Tip back a cold one (or two) folks. Ain't nobody here trying to see the embarassing sites you frequent, or trying to capitalize on anyone's Circuit City charge account. icon_biggrin.gif

I do believe we are talking about partaking of God's open airwaves - to utilize a signal to connect ad hoc so that we can check our OWN email. Some services charge monthly or by the minute... some are free. Soon (made possible by paying advertisers) there will be free signal strength with more consistancy than the (oh my god - FREE) satellite signals we use for our GPS units. You will always be responsible to lock your own front door - Now, if you don't follow the conversation - or its intent - why automatically assume there's a crime being committed? Bored? Go clean up a few tangible caches which might classify as litter... punishable by a fine, imprisonment, or both. icon_biggrin.gif

Grandmaster Cache

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

With the terrorist/criminal issues afront, people out wandering around with GPS units looking for Wireless hotspots would strike me as a big red flag. Having recently completed training for Omaha's Citizen's Patrol, one of the scenarios we are trained to report is exactly this kind of unfamiliar individual acting suspiciously lurking around a building that doesn't belong to him/her.

Wandering in the park with a GPS is called hiking, no one notices. Wandering around downtown with a GPS and a wireless device is called "begging to be arrested."

And I guess the cops should beat the individual with a nightstick while they're at it, on the off chance that it might be bin Laden himself that they are detaining for "suspicious behavior".

Really, people ..you get what you deserve, and it is just this type of viewpoint which is driving this country towards ruin.

IT IS NOT OK FOR THE POLICE TO QUESTION, SEARCH, AND/OR DETAIN A PERSON JUST BECAUSE THEY "LOOK SUSPICIOUS". This is the type of behavior that went on in the former USSR and Nazi Germany.

IT IS NOT OK FOR "CITIZEN PATROLS" TO TURN IN OTHER CITIZENS FOR "SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR". This is also the type of behavior that went on in the the former USSR and Nazi Germany.

Now, I don't know what goes on in Nebraska these days, but thankfully, out here in California, that type of behavior is still a violation of ones civil rights. If you're standing in the middle of the Golden Gate with a GPS, you can bet you'll be detained and questioned ...but standing next to a building, or most other places, (GPSr or not) in NO WAY should bring any "suspicion" or cause for any 'citizen patrol' to 'turn in' individuals. If you want to join a citizen patrol, go to the inner city areas and turn in the drug dealers if you like. They cause more death and destruction than any 'terrorists' possibly could, and the neighbors would be most grateful for your help.

It's called 'probable cause' people, and looking around with a GPS is not probable cause.

http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/315/315lect06.htm

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for being part of a 'citizen patrol' which turns in other regular citizens for 'suspicious behavior'.

The chance of one being actually affected by a 'terrorist' is less than being hit by lightning. Put your duct tape and plastic sheeting away, it's a ruse to promote a political agenda ...nothing more, nothing less. The 9/11 terrorists were mostly from Saudi Arabia ...you don't see us penalizing the Saudi's, do you?

As for wireless networks, I'll keep mine low-key and WEP enabled, thank you. You're asking for trouble if you leave your wireless network wide open, unless you're providing a public access point, which is an entirely different story.

[This message was edited by clps on March 15, 2003 at 02:19 AM.]

SUPER!!!!! What a great challenge (which of course would be cowered from)! How excellent an idea for the 21st Century People's Republik Posse organizations to venture forth into places like, say the Crenshaw, East Palo Alto, Oakland... (you get the idea) and do their smarmy "reporting" of "suspicious activity" there. All sorts of REAL illegalities going on there... if you're brave enough to tackle real criminals. Of course, it is always quite the muscle-bulging prowess of good Party Communists to:

A.) Observe thy neighbor through cracks in the blinds or parts in the curtain.

B.) Form a personal "conclusion" as to their naughty nature. icon_biggrin.gif

C.) Call the KGB and "report" said criminal neighbor for crimes to be determined.

Out here???? "Neighborhood Patrols" or "Big Brother" groups who dared to have the t-fortitude icon_wink.gif to do any real good would be better named the "Pinata Party Posse," because that's exactly what would happen - you'd be slapped silly, and totally at the discretion of real thugs. Maybe they might use your life as a gang-initiation, or maybe they might decide to let you live... Whatever the case, they present enough of a real problem for those who wish they were real KGB agents to tremble in their ickle bitty shoes and instead have to pretend to be big shots by keeping an eye out for a raised laptop, or somebody not looking straight ahead in traffic. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The "formation" of any "Nosey Neighbors" is a farce against true crime, because true criminals are way ahead of you... I could be the snottiest guy on the block, but I can still carry the little old ladie's groceries into her house with a smile, and she thinks I'm the nicest guy in town. Here's a clue, to all the wannabe KGB agents: If I'm gonna blow up a building, or take out the pentagon??? I'm not gonna sit in front of it with a freakin' laptop and GPS unit. No, I might blend in with all the tourists and VIDEOTAPE it to let you find and recoil at later... so what's your deal? You gonna start KGBing everyone with a camcorder, next?

Transcript of Nosey Neighbor 911 call:

"911, do you need police, medical or fire assistance?"

"Uh, probably."

"What are you calling to report, sir?"

"Uh, there's this guy sitting in a car, and he's got some sort of computer screen - and I haven't seen him around here before... It looks like he's got some sort of other device... I've seen him get out of the car, hold it up for a minute or two - and then scribble down coordinates. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of timer - you guys better send the S.W.A.T. out, pronto. Did I mention I'm part of a Nosey Neighbor A.S.S? You know, Area Surveillance Society? And can I also tell you I have watched, observed and know exactly what the individual in the car is wearing.... Wait! He's moving now... again, then, slowly down the street... Oh my (beeep beeeeeeep beeeeeeep beeeep) God!! language bleeped out ala COPS style He's coming this way! I can see the words "Compaq".... Yes, it's absolutely a laptop he's got... and he's got a smile on his face!!!"

"Ok, sir??? Do you see any weapons?"

"Oh oh... Forget about that... I've got something much bigger to report!!! I can't believe it!! Something just happened!"

"Ok, sir?? Is something happening?"

"Why, yes... As I'm talking to you, there's a guy in some sort of turban walking this way. There's a.... let me see... Yes! It's definitely a woman walking about 15 feet behind him! They must be part of this whole thing."

"Sir, do they look like they know the people in the car?"

"Well, no! The guy in the car just left. But these have gotta be some sort of terrorists walking towards me. Wait!!! Across the street... The neighbor just drove up in an unusual car - I've never seen him in it. And he drove it straight into the garage and closed the door behind him... Shall I sneak over and take a look?"

"No, sir... Stay where you are. The couple you see walking down the street has already called it in. We have that information.... Sir?? Get a life. We have a job to do. Get a dog." icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Grandmaster Cache

[This message was edited by GRANDMASTER CACHE on March 15, 2003 at 09:18 AM.]

All,

I was keeping to the topic of potential uses for GPS and wireless technology. See article below.

Belgium employees take Intel outside

They call themselves the Intel Belgium Stunt Team.On the morning of the worldwide Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology launch they took their antics—and their office furniture—outdoors to show fellow Belgians just what Intel’s new mobile technology can do.Lead by Kristof Sehmke, Intel Benelux PR manager, and Kurt de Buck, Intel Benelux Mobility Champ, four employees picked up their desks, laptops, and office supplies and set up shop in Groenplaats, the famous and trendy Antwerp Square. Umbrellas, the shadow of the town’s cathedral, and shade from a statue of Peter Paul Rubens shielded the crew from the sun. To equip their wireless open-air office, the group even “installed” a water cooler, a coat hanger, and a healthy green plant.Normally, Internet aficionados would not choose Groenplaats as a venue for Web surfing—unless they had a really long phone cord. But in preparation for the official Intel Centrino mobile technology launch scheduled for later that day, Intel and Sinfilo, a local Wireless Internet Service Provider, had turned Groenplaats into one big hotspot.

With the hotspot live, the four Intel employees could send and receive e-mails, surf the Internet, and access the corporate network from their Intel Centrino mobile technology-based notebooks. The four notebooks wirelessly connected to three Intel access points fixed against the outside wall of the Antwerp Hilton Hotel.As the crew members went about their business, to the bemusement of passersby, news of the stunt hit the local airwaves.“With the weather gods on our side, the stunt took place under a clear blue sky,” says Sehmke. “The open-air office attracted the attention of many passers-by as well as one TV station and two national radio stations, one of which reported live on the goings-on at the square. A major portal site broadcast live video images through a Web cam installed on the square.” The good weather drew a steady stream of people strolling the square, says Sehmke. But they approached tentatively, he says, “because, ultimately we were working so they didn't know if they could disturb us.”While most people thought it “cool” that Intel allowed them to take their desks outside and work in open air, it wasn’t until they found out the guys did it without wires that they became totally impressed, says Sehmke.

“After we explained how it worked and what the potential is, almost everybody asked us if this was going to be installed continuously on the square so they could do it too,” he said. Due to the success and major recognition of the “stunt,” the city mayor is now working on making the square a permanent hotspot, says Sehmke. “With several universities around, as well as many office buildings, the square is the place to be during lunch times,” says Sehmke. “And when the sun comes out, whatever the temperature is, the terraces on the square are crammed with students and office workers. A permanent hotspot would allow them to work from the square and prolong their lunch break in the sun.”If the city succeeds in its campaign to make the square a permanent hotspot, you can count on finding the stunt duo there on lunch break—hatching their next plan, of course.* * *

shutterbug85284