Hey all of you 76 users. I am looking at

a Garmin 76s to purchase. It is hard to lay

down over $300 on a gps so I want to know

if you like yours and is it good holding

satellite lock under tree cover? (My old

etrex yellow does not do this well)

Thanks in advance

Phil

It was worth it to me but then when I upgraded from a garmin 12XL I wanted to go as high the scale as I could afford so It would be a long time before I was tempted again. I really like my 76S but really haven't seen that much use for the electronic compass and that is one reason I got it. A lot of the time I am in such thick brush that my movement is so little that I wanted to be able to tell what direction I was heading while standing still without digging out the old reliable magnetic compass. Maybe it is just me or my gpsr but even with the electronic compass turned on I will still need to move some to get it to work and then if I turn around while standing and then turn back to the original direction as before the compass will be off some. I know this because I have checked it with a

real compass. When moving and the electronic compass turned off the other compass works just like my 12XL. I have mapsource TOPO loaded and like that feature. I would say go for it cause it worked for me.

team sidewinde

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

I have a model 76 (not the 76S) and I love it. I bought it after reading several recommendations on this board just about a year ago. Since then I've used it on dozens of caches and it has held lock under some serious tree canopy. I have since bought a Rino120 and like that one too. At the time I got my Garmin 76 I paid a bit over $200 for it. If the price is still up there, then I would suggest popping just a BIT more and get the Rino120. For nearly the same price you're getting mapping ability and radios! But if you're committed to the 76 line, then yes -- it's excellent.

quote:
but even with the electronic compass turned on I will still need to move some to get it to work and then

Don't forget there is a timer setting in the menu somewhere that says how long the unit has to be stationary before the e-compass turns on. This is to save battery life when you stop for a few secs. If you set it to a shorter value, you may find it more useful.