Garmin Vista and laptop help

Looking for some informaion on options to use Vista. Is it possible to use a laptop display and the Vista reciever at the same time? For example, is there software/Vista features that would allow position tracking on the laptop, giving a larger display?

thanks for any ideas...

Nothin' to it.

There is a wide variety of options, either use Garmins proprietary map software MapSource or aftermarket programs such as OziExplorer or even MicroSoft Streets & Trips.

Do a search here in the forums for Ozi and S&T to see the options, it is quite a common application. (I've even used S&T on an airplane with the GPS at the window to show my seatmates where we are).

All you have to so on the GPS end of things is to set your Vista Interface (under setup menu) to Garmin (using Mapquest) or NMEA (most others) output.

Have fun!

thanks - I have Garmin Roads & Rec. CD and didn't know I could do that. So in this mode, the GPS will send continuous location information to the laptop so it can be shown on the laptop display in real-time? I'll give it a try.

Hi gave this a try but was unable to get it to do what I wanted. Any other hints?

details...

I used the vista connected to a laptop with Garmin MapSource road&rec. installed. I can connect to the GPS and load trails, etc into the laptop for display, so the interface works. What I want to do is have a moving (real-time)display of the current position as I travel. The Vista interface is in Garmin mode. How should the MapSource software be set up for this?

thank you...

When I bought my Vista I splurged and got the three way cable that allow me to connect my GPS to both my computer and the 12 volt adaptor in the car. Best $45 I've spent. I am very pleased. On road trips I plug the laptop into a power inverter and the GPS into the laptop. The power inverter and the GPS both run off of the 12 volt. I can go across the country like this and play the whole way. www.tvnav.com has a good price on them. Got my Vista for a good price too!

With regards to going off of the road.

I have no solution. Cell phones are for amateur crashes. GPS crashes are the real ones! icon_smile.gif

When I bought my Vista I splurged and got the three way cable that allow me to connect my GPS to both my computer and the 12 volt adaptor in the car. Best $45 I've spent. I am very pleased. On road trips I plug the laptop into a power inverter and the GPS into the laptop. The power inverter and the GPS both run off of the 12 volt. I can go across the country like this and play the whole way. www.tvnav.com has a good price on them. Got my Vista for a good price too!

With regards to going off of the road.

I have no solution. Cell phones are for amateur crashes. GPS crashes are the real ones! icon_smile.gif