hard to get 3d lock in wooded area today

JaegerWolf

quote:
Originally posted by JaegerWolf:

How is everyones meridian after the the 4.02 update. I could not hold a 3d lock at all today for some reason. Never had this happen before.

Mine does not seem to be as accurate as it was. I'm consistantly showing about 20' off where before the upgrade I could easily get right on top of a cache. Wish I could go back to the previous version!

Gsdvr

Huntsville

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Wallace:

Wish I could go back to the previous version!

You can.. if you still have it. If you don't, I'm sure someone does, or it may still be available on the Magellan website.

As far as accuracy, I haven't been able to field test mine yet.. but it seems absurd to think that the engineers would make the software upgrade less accurate. It's all in your head, methinks.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Wallace:

Wish I could go back to the previous version!

You can.. if you still have it. If you don't, I'm sure someone does, or it may still be available on the Magellan website.

As far as accuracy, I haven't been able to field test mine yet.. but it seems absurd to think that the engineers would make the software upgrade less accurate. It's all in your head, methinks.

Jamie

I wouldn't go so far as to say absurd, but buggy comes to mind.

I have looked around the website for the earlier version but with no look.

Definitely not just in my head. I checked up against previous finds that were dead on before the upgrade.

Gsdvr

Huntsville

I updated my SporTrak map to the 4.02 last night. I took it outside to let it orientate itself after the upgrade. After it got a good lock I brought it inside. It wasn't untill then i realized that the position it came up with was over 1000 feet away from where I was. I am shortly going to go back out to let it try to find itself again. I have noticed the redraw on the plotter screen is much faster. but If i have lost serious accuracy in a swap for quicker refresh of the map I am goign to be seriously displeased.

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

Any time the almanac data isn't completely updated in your receiver, or anytime you've moved significantly from the last time the receiver had a lock (Clearing memory produces the same results) you'll have less than perfect accuracy for a short period of time. For a Magellan to initially lock on and report a position error of 1000 feet or more is fairly normal under these conditions, (A Garmin would probably have only been off by 950 feet or so icon_biggrin.gif) and most likely part of why Magellan has added a feature to warn you if you try and save a waypoint too quickly.

Give it a good 20 to thirty minutes of uninterupted reception to get it's wits about it, and I'm sure you'll be back to normal. I only upgraded one of my two sportrak maps. After a short period of time they both seem to be behaving the same to me.

for what it's worth

Jeff

Just finished checking both Mg and STPro against previously recorded positions as plotted by SA Watch earlier this month. Both are within 2.5 meters and both units showed less than 1 meter of drift after thermal stabilization in my cloudy 44 degree weather.

Am thinking about posting the SA Watch .jpg's and a short narrative if there is an interest.

Legal Disclaimer:

icon_biggrin.gif Offered solely for the entertainment of the viewing audience--no implications made, no inferences should be taken. Data is valid only for my Magellans the time of the test and no future performance of your Magellan is warranted. icon_biggrin.gif