Review for the etrex Vista is up !!!

Nice summary but I have a couple comments:

1) The IPX7 waterproof specification is for immersion to one meter (about 3') for 30 minutes - not to 30'. In addition, the battery compartment isn't even speced to meet the IPX7 requirement.

2) There's a big difference between R&R and MetroGuide in the US (the difference is less in Europe). R&R is based on very dated TIGER maps and has never been updated. It also has no address search capability, very limited points-of-interest, and lacks support for road-lock.

MG was originally based on the much more accurate TeleAtlas (ETAK) data and has been periodically updated. The most recent version comes from NavTech which supplies the same maps to the dedicated car navigation systems - these are far more accurate and complete than the TIGER data. MG also supports all the search features, road-lock, next cross-street, and auto-routing on your PC.

hmmmm, actually, you are right,,,,, it is 3 feet!!! I must have been tired that night.

My oppologies. I will change that now!!!

As for the maps,,,, I thought for sure R&R had address search?

I will add your points,, thanks again, sorry for the trouble.

Nice review. A few mistakes, though, the first one in the commenst above:

The Vista doesn't support the next cross-street function.

Now in the review:

The eTrex series also includes the Camo version, which is like the yellow, but with hunt&fish. Then there is the Mariner, but that's just a re-labelled Venture.

The backlight can be set to different times, but these are 15 secs, 30 secs, one or two minutes. And lit all the time.

There are really three different basemaps. American, European and Pacific.

Then there are a lot more functions, but you have to set the limit for a review somewhere, of course.

Anders