Fresh Batteries Do Make a Difference

RB_Nielsen

We just returned from a successful trip to a geocache that we could not find the first time. We ran out of daylight on our initial trip, but the bigger problem on that our first try was being beset with problems maintaining satellite lock. The trees overhead are numerous, and the cache is located in an area where you have to bushwack through somewhat thick undergrowth in order to get to it. With the GPSr lock jittering off and on that first time, it got to be too much and we just ran out of daylight. Clearly the batteries on the first trip were running low, but just how low was not evidient until today's return visit. This trip was altogether different owing to the fact I had a fresh set of batteries. We never once lost satellite lock despite the same trees overhead and the exact same undergrowth. This time the GPSr led us straight to the cache - no problem, and throughout the search today we maintained solid satellite lock the entire time. So, next time you head out for a geocaching adventure - be sure to check those batteries.

I have not found that battery level makes a difference on my unit, but the time of day does. Since the sats are in the same location every 12 hours, if your having trouble at a spot try a different time of day. The sats will probably move to a location that works better. Of course I have noticed that my unit (Magellan for Visor PDA) is pretty conservative about when to shut down.

Dan

A = A

quote:
Since the sats are in the same location every 12 hours, if your having trouble at a spot try a different time of day.

Minor point, but should be noted... That is 12 hours in siderial time, not earth based time. We have to rotate another 4 minutes each day to be coincident with the satellite constellation.

That 4 minutes can make a big difference when returning to a cache even a week later, as the satellites would now be in a position 15 degrees of arc from where they were at the the same earth based time the previous week.