Is my eTrex obsolete?

I have a Garmin eTrex, it's 2 (or maybe three, I can't recall) years old. I never got a cable for it or updated the software, it's the same unit I got out of the package back then. I just discovered geocaching, have found a few caches so far, but my GPS has been way off on several occasions.

Is this unit obsolete? If so, can/should I get an interface cable and try to update the software? And if so, what will this cost?

Hi and welcome to caching. Many of us use the "plain" old yellow etrex for caching. They are a great little unit and I have found heaps of caches with mine. Just because a cache has been off doesnt mean that your gps is causing it. The hider might have been off when they placed it. The trees around might give you a higher error. Just keep trying and when you get close to the spot try and think where you would hide the cache. I dont know what a cable will cost you in the states as I'm in Australia, but it would probably be a good idea to update your unit.

Hope this helps

"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it." Poo

I am a magellanite but I have read many posts and I know that the etrex is one of the most popular GPSs for Geocaching.

If the coords are off it could be for several reasons.

One, the datum may be set wrong on the GPS. It's easily changed and should be WGS84.

Two, how far off is off? Is it 30' feet or 300 feet? All GPS's will get you close but they are not exact and will vary a little based on which satellites you're tracking, weather, tree cover, terrain, etc. 30 to 60 feet is not unusual.

Check the Garmin website for updates. I'm sure they are keeping up on the unit. It has a large following.

Last but not least...Welcome aboard!!!

geosign.gif

Thanks, Ranz.

The coords were off today by over 200', pretty heavy tree cover tho. I found both caches today by getting near, then putting away the GPS and just walking and observing. I had a great time and Pokey the dog did too.

Glad to hear that my unit is not obsolete and is still a good tool for this sport. I will go ahead and get a cable to download the update. Thanks!

Little Frog and Pokey the Dog

littlefrog,

I use a basic yellow etrex for geocaching. I updated my firmware from what came on it to the latest version and noticed a big improvement on slow speed accuracy. I have never lost waypoints while updating the firmware. Also, Garmin lists the changes from one revision to the next on the update page so that you can find your version and see what changes have been made up to the latest update. I also ordered my cable from www.gpsnow.com and a few other things and have always had great service and they have good prices, too. Hope this has helped.

KYtrex

I used an older Magellan Blaser12,four years old.Was not able to upgrade it at all, It got me to eighty finds before I bought a new Magellan Meridian, My son now has it and is starting his Geocaching habit with it. So yours should be ok. Bob G.

Hey Littlefrog, I have an Etrex Legend that came with the data cable. If you trust me enough to send me your Etrex Basic I'll update it for you and return it. SASB of course. I updated a friends Basic not too long ago. It didn't add a whole lot of features since his was only a year old. YMMV.

Matt

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but don't bet on it.

Certainly. If you don't upgrade within three days after a new version of the firmware shows up, your unit is deteoriated beyond reincarnation.

Put it in an envelope and mail it to me, and I assure you that I'll destruct it according to all environmental policies that do and will exist. icon_biggrin.gif

Anders

Certainly. If you don't upgrade within three days after a new version of the firmware shows up, your unit is deteoriated beyond reincarnation.

Put it in an envelope and mail it to me, and I assure you that I'll destruct it according to all environmental policies that do and will exist. icon_biggrin.gif

Anders

It's not obsolete yet! I used mine to find over 70 caches. If you watch over on ebay, you can pick up a cable for about $15 including shipping. The cable is worth getting! First you can download the newest firmware which has some new features. One I liked was being able to see the unit lock onto satelites. You will be able download geocache info via easygps which is helpfull in preventing the misentering of coords.

In the GPS model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...through creeks, thorn bushes, horse piles, whatever....

quote:
Originally posted by littlefrog:

Hi embi, and thanks.

What changes will the updated software make in my unit? Will I lose my stored waypoints?

Little Frog and Pokey the Dog

The changes that will occur are dependent on what you have in your etrex at the moment so I can't say exactly. You won't lose your waypoints in the upgrade either.

I just did a conversion and 200ft is 60 meters. Its a fair way off but it could just be your tree cover. I would definetly go for the update and see if it helps any. You'll be able to put waypoints into the etrex easier anyway

"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it." Pooh