Help needed ASAP

WARTIDE

As many of you have read in another thread, my friend from Miami passed away last weekend. I just got a call yesterday about the arrangements. I also received my Garmin V this afternoon. I would really like to be able to get from the airport to my hotel and to the funeral home with help from my GPS (I don't want the family to have to shuttle me around so I rented a car.) I loaded the city select software and have downloaded my area as well as Miami (i think) into the GPS. However, I can't search for the address of the funeral home in miami. Did I do something wrong or is it just because I'm not in the physical vicinity?

As you can tell I'm in a bit of a rush on the learning curve since I'm flying out in the morning. Anyone help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the GPS works great even in my small town it has been flawless.

Thanks

Check your level of detail. I'm not sure if that's the problem but in Mapsource you can set how much detail you download to the GPS.

Next you might not have that spot loaded in your GPS.

Next if all else fails, use a markwell FAQ to plug in the address, get a coordinate and route to the coordinate. That does work. Plus by looking at the map location for the coordinate you can see if you have downloaded the map.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Check your level of detail. I'm not sure if that's the problem but in Mapsource you can set how much detail you download to the GPS.

Are you talking about the detail setting under "edit" and "Preferences"?? I thought that was detail for mapsource zoom...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin V

Garmin III+

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

MapSource will always download all the available detail for the maps you have selected. The only option for the user is whether auto-routing data is also downloaded, but there's no way to download a less-detailed map.

To chiro, I don't have a V, but on my eMap I can search for addresses in any area for which maps are loaded - it doesn't depend on my current location. You can check which maps are downloaded under the MapSource Info menu item or by zooming out on the map and scrolling over to the Miami area.

Need the whole area loaded, of where the funeral will be, and go into SIMULATOR MODE(use indoors). Hit Menu button from the satelite page, then select New Location, then select Use Map, then cursor over to the general area where the POI should be in Miami, then press ENTER

Steps to find the place:

Hit FIND button

Select Points Of Interest

Select Nearest or By Name

Select Services

Select Other

Then scroll through the List to find the place.

Seclect it, then pres ENTER

You can change your location on the planet in simulator mode from the satellite page, and it will show your new location on the map page.

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on August 20, 2003 at 10:02 AM.]

Thanks for all the responses. I found out that the area I was looking for was a very small piece of Miami that I didn't include in the map download. Re downloaded and everything was fine. I'm posting a detailed review of my first V experience sometime today.

Thank you for all the quick responses and sympathy in this and the other threads.