Etrex Legend vs SporTrak Pro ?

4x4van

I'm getting ready to upgrade my GPS. Been using a Magellan GPS 315 for quite awhile now, but it decided to give up the ghost (no longer picks up any satelite signal). I'm really torn between the Etrex Legend and the SporTrak Pro. Any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated to help me make the final cut. Thanks.

Irvingdog, How's the screen resolution on the SporTrak Pro? According to specs, it's 160x104 (comparable to the GPS 315), compared to 288x160 for the Legend. Are you happy with the resolution?

Hoghunters, I'll definitely consider that. Do you take Paypal?

Any other opinions out there? I know the SporTrak has 7 customizable screens, but how many screens does the Legend have?

But both involve some trade offs. For use with TOPO maps, or road maps while hand held, I prefer the display on the eTrex. The much higher resolution lets you take in more of your surroundings, and visualize things easier. While in the hand, I also find the buttons on the eTrex easier to use one handed while on the move, and the software seems more optimized towards slow speed travel. While stationary, I prefer the Sportraks software optimization, and the button layout works better for one finger operation while on the dash of your car. In my truck at least, the sportraks display seems to suffer from glare a little bit less than the eTrex display does.

The sportrak pro has more mapping memory than the Legend. When it comes to topo maps, the Garmin product is more detailed for geographic items. Street wise, the Garmin maps tend to be more accurate in areas, but the Magellan maps are more up to date in about 30 percent of the areas. Both manufactures are due to release new mapping software in the near future. Which will be better, or how much memory they will require is just a guess at the moment.

Personally, I'd be happy with either one of those units. For further ramblings about the Legend and sportrak map, feel free to check out my webpage which is linked to on my profile.