Mapping software

George I have used Fugawi software and topos for over a year now and would rate it excellent. It does everything you want and more. I have no experience with Ozie but from the sound of comments on this forum I think it is quite comparable.

Fugawi topos are more than satisfactory for my caching and hiking needs. It allows importing of a number of different maps and of course scanned maps.

Sorry I couldn't give you any firm reason to choose one over the other.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

"Pi 'r not square, Pie 'r round you dummy!"

We use Oziexplorer and are very satisfied with it. You can dowload a trial version from their website - they are continually improving the product. We are using maps from Spectrum: topos scanned onto CD, as well as Toporama maps, jpg images downloaded from the internet and maps we've scanned from a Backroads map book. All work equally well, but the Government topo maps that are professionally scanned onto CD are far better quality than Toporama. I believe that Ozi and Fugawi are similar in their ability to use many types of map images, but I have no experience with Fugawi.

From Olar's reply I really think this is a Ford/Chevy kind of choice.

I don't think you have that quite right. Fugawi

is a Canadian company and has topos for all of Canada (as far as I know). I use Ozi and bought Canadian Topos from Quo Vadis (now TourTech). Fugawi may have been OK but I found the demo version (about 2 years ago) essentially unusable.

quote:
Originally posted by Curious George:

Thanks Olar - I forgot to mention that I live in Canada and Fugawi doesn't have maps that cover this area, so I would have to use maps from another source.