Sportrack- NO Max speed!!!

I have been playing around with a Magellen Sportrack Pro and found it has NO Max or Average speed function. The cheapie Etrex I borrowed does.

I kayak and it's great to know how fast one can go and averages.

In fact the instruction book is very lame in telling you the 13 options that can be setup on the data fields. What the heck is 'turn' and you need to go to the glossary to find the acronym meanings. Frenchie lame-ness or what??

Just venting.

steve

Just upgrade to the latest version of the GPSr firmware and you will have your precious MAX and Average speed! icon_biggrin.gif Of course, figuring out how to reset them is non-trivial. The only way I know of is to reset the trip meter.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Flatpick,

I agree with you. When I purchased my Meridian, I was sorely disappointed in some of the features it lacked. Average speed and max speed were my main concerns. Fortunately, Magellan has fixed most of the issues I had with the recent firmware upgrades.. although I've found that the max speed feature is usually useless. Invariably the GPS will get crazy signals sometime during my trip and my max speed will be displayed as something way out of line. Oh well. At least my cyclometer has the same feature.

Jamie

It's not a big deal so long as you follow the instructions *exactly*. Use fresh batteries, so the GPSr doesn't die half way through. Clear memory before and after.

There are occasions where people run into difficulties; most of the time I think it's because they violated one of the principles above. My impression is that there are recovery techniques to save your bacon most of the time that troubles arise. Firmware upgrades are a part of GPSr ownership, just avoid approaching the task in a loose manner.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt