Meridian Report, Pics, and Tricks

Guest ClayJar

Guest crazy4cache

Hi

I just got my Meridian gold with the Map Send Topo last Friday (has my whole development on it including a road name change made last Feb) . I did check garmans streets and roads and noticed most of the roads in my development were missing ('I've been here 16 years). I sent a note off to the garman support group and was told basically "you get what you see on the web page" and no updates in the near future.

Anyway, in my back yard the little gold unit can get 8 sats loud and clear. I watched my cords for about 7 min, lat bounced back and forth between .556 and .558. Lon didn't move at all. Consider myself pretty lucky here. Even though there is a higher probability of a direct hit if some one chose me as their target. I was wondering if anyone has modified a Meridian to accept an external antenna. That would be a plus. I would also like a clip to screw in the back with a waterproof plug over the serial connections. Use the clip to tie a line.

Thanks!

------------------

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by crazy4cache:

I was wondering if anyone has modified a Meridian to accept an external antenna.

I don't even know of any attempts. You could use a re-radiating antenna, of course, but it would require power (of course).

Nice job on this review Clayjar

Can you tell me how is the topo's for us Canadians.The maps i have seen so far do not cover much of this side of the border.Some major towns and surroundings. Very nice unit one thing i like about magelan is you can had comments to your waypoints. I don't know if your gold still has this feature.This is a hunting spot i go to near my cottage near Blue sea lake N 45'08'165 W76'11'634 My gps doesn't have any maps for this area. These are my moose camp coords near Deep river Ontario N46'19'297 W77'25'189.It would be nice to finally get a gps with some decent map coverage. Thanks 300mag

How are the maps for Canada on the merigold...or any magellan?

One of my buddies is looking for a gpsr and is asking a few questions about magellan's THANKS

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 23 January 2002).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

I don't know how good the maps are of Canada, but if you give me a set of coordinates, I can give you a screenshot.

GPS@.com (oops, I forgot to put ClayJar in the middle icon_wink.gif)

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

I don't know how good the maps are of Canada, but if you give me a set of coordinates, I can give you a screenshot.

GPS@.com (oops, I forgot to put ClayJar in the middle icon_wink.gif)

Thanks Clayjar i will e-mail you directly.

And yes these are some types of questions that could be directed to magellan but someone with a magellan could also answer them icon_wink.gif

Thanks Clayjar i will e-mail you directly.

And yes these are some types of questions that could be directed to magellan but someone with a magellan could also answer them icon_wink.gif

Guest corvaire

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Basically, there's not going to be that much difference at all between a MeriGold and a MeriMari if you buy MapSend (Topo or whatever). $12 isn't very much difference in price, either. So, it really boils down to color choice (and I'm only half kidding; if you drop it overboard, the MeriMari is higher-visibility, but if you mostly hike, the nicely understated MeriGold is wonderful).

[/b]

Thanks for the side-by-side pics! I'm thinking the colorful white-and-blue MeriMari is the way I'll go. Just have to remember not to drop it in the snow! icon_smile.gif

Guest corvaire

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Basically, there's not going to be that much difference at all between a MeriGold and a MeriMari if you buy MapSend (Topo or whatever). $12 isn't very much difference in price, either. So, it really boils down to color choice (and I'm only half kidding; if you drop it overboard, the MeriMari is higher-visibility, but if you mostly hike, the nicely understated MeriGold is wonderful).

[/b]

Thanks for the side-by-side pics! I'm thinking the colorful white-and-blue MeriMari is the way I'll go. Just have to remember not to drop it in the snow! icon_smile.gif

Guest phantom4099

I meant that right know I can't get it to do anything with more than 4 regions only if each is a couple KB. I go to the map.img and see how it changes as you add maps, but if I try more than 4 region it goes to zero data.