Meridian Report, Pics, and Tricks

Guest ClayJar

Guest ClayJar

Okay, I got my MeriGold this evening, and I'm working on my preliminary review. I've taken some pics for everyone (packaging, size, layout, etc), and those will be uploaded soon. I am also working on figuring out how to best handle the SD cards. The cable that comes with the unit is a serial cable, but SD cards are standard, and I'm using my SD card reader to put the proper steps together for optimium efficiency.

O.K. it's getting late back east, so I guess we are going to have to wait till tomorrow morning for for all the goods.

The big question as we know is what about auto averaging?

Also, is it as bulky as it looks?

INPUT PLEASE !!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

O.K. it's getting late back east, so I guess we are going to have to wait till tomorrow morning for for all the goods.

Also, is it as bulky as it looks?

INPUT PLEASE !!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Guest topografix

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Okay, I got my MeriGold this evening, and I'm working on my preliminary review. I've taken some pics for everyone (packaging, size, layout, etc), and those will be uploaded soon. I am also working on figuring out how to best handle the SD cards. The cable that comes with the unit is a serial cable, but SD cards are standard, and I'm using my SD card reader to put the proper steps together for optimium efficiency.

I'm interested to hear if it adds any new waypoint symbols that don't show up on the menu in EasyGPS.

Enjoy your new toy!!!

------------------

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

quote:
Originally posted by navdog:

This waiting is going to kill me! I think I'm setting myself up for a big let-down.

Either: A/ It will not have auto average shut-off option or,

B/ It will have and my wife won't let me spend the bucks.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

[This message has been edited by Olar (edited 17 October 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

directory by the "Upload to GPS..." command, you can simply copy the one you want to use and rename it "DETAIL00.IMG" without ever going back into MapSend. (You can also keep renamed copies of your favorite "maps.img" region set files and copy/rename those on demand.)

Use at your own risk, I'm not liable, "'Green!" 'Purple!'", and all that jazz.

Guest ClayJar

Meridians is slightly longer than the stated battery life of a MAP 330, but then again, battery life has always been known to be rather unpredicatable as it's based not just on the unit but on the cells used and their condition. I'm assuming that upload/download speeds are limited by the serial connection, and so benchmarks on them would be pointless, but since you can copy detail maps directly to an SD card by using a card reader (see my mini-HOWTO), you can cut the upload time for detail maps to practically zero, which is a whole lot better than 64MB over a serial cable. icon_smile.gif

Bio:

ClayJar is a geocacher. If this were a real review, it would have more stuff about him. He also feels wierd writing about himself in the third person, but that's what happens when you write a bio blurb at the bottom of a review. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 18 October 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

Meridians is slightly longer than the stated battery life of a MAP 330, but then again, battery life has always been known to be rather unpredicatable as it's based not just on the unit but on the cells used and their condition. I'm assuming that upload/download speeds are limited by the serial connection, and so benchmarks on them would be pointless, but since you can copy detail maps directly to an SD card by using a card reader (see my mini-HOWTO), you can cut the upload time for detail maps to practically zero, which is a whole lot better than 64MB over a serial cable. icon_smile.gif

Bio:

ClayJar is a geocacher. If this were a real review, it would have more stuff about him. He also feels wierd writing about himself in the third person, but that's what happens when you write a bio blurb at the bottom of a review. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 18 October 2001).]

Guest Iron Chef

Very nice writeup ClayJar, I'm impressed so far. :~) Where are the pictures though? Us visual learners need to see the proof and some screenshots, especially if you want to convert us from the other company out there that happens to make GPSRs. I've gone down to West Marine to check out if they have them in, but they just had to disappoint me (which bummed me out since it is their flagship store too). Oh well, looks like I'll wait here for the pics to hit the net. :~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest ClayJar

Okay, here you go. Pictures galore! (In two parts due to the board.)

Boxes.jpg

Boxes, boxes exerywhere.

The Meridian box gets extra points for presentation with it's open front.

Contents.jpg

What's in the box?

The MeriGold itself, the data cable, two Energizer AAs, the user's guide on CD-ROM, a printed Quick Start Guide, a little "we also sell accessories" flyer, and the warranty card.

Compare.jpg

The MAP 330 and it's new friend.

It's a little bigger than it's older cousin, but it's got more inside it than the old guy. Still, they look nice together.

Sizes.jpg

They're this big...

Here are the two receivers together with a pager and a floppy, just in case you wanted to know just how big or small these things really are.

Guest ClayJar

SDCard.jpg

...and it's this little.

In case you were wondering how small an SD card is, here's that floppy again for comparison. Let's just say that if you pick a peck of these little peppers, I'd buy a coin purse to keep them in, too.

Back.jpg

Its back!

...looks like this. The two oval holes right below the top two screws are actually "L" shaped for the mounting brackets to lock in. The grey contact pad area is flat and indented, and the two grey rectangles on the bottom half are the battery compartment slide tabs.

BackOpen.jpg

Its back... is open.

Notice the four slots for the sliding tab locks. Also, there are springs on the correct sides of the batteries, just in case you were wondering. Also note the black gasket around the battery compartment to keep it water-tight.

CardInside.jpg

How it works.

Going clockwise from the NW quadrant: (1) Notice the reason for the size and shape of the compartment. (2) Here's the card locked in place and ready to go. (3) When you press the card in again, it unlocks and pops out like this. (4) And finally, here's the card locked in again and with the batteries in place.

Yes, great write-up ClayJar.

Like Iron Chef , I have called a few stores and nothing in stock yet. Is the Meridian that much bigger than the 300's. The pics at the website are hard to compare. Just wondering if it is as "pocketable".

Looking forward to more input as you get out and about with it. Also let us know how your first hunt goes with it!

Guest ClayJar

It's easily pocketable (except if you wear pour-on jeans). The size is actually quite nice. While I can reach thumb-to-pinky around my MAP 330, the Meridian fits my hand really nicely (my fingers don't overlap the display if I'm grabbing it tightly).

I actually mishandled my MeriGold this afternoon. I was being careless and it flipped right out of my hand and flew through the air. Reflexively, I lunged and caught it in mid-air. It really impressed the two people who saw me catch it, and it really impressed me that the rubber grip works well enough to snag it in midair without it just slipping out of my hand. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

It's easily pocketable (except if you wear pour-on jeans). The size is actually quite nice. While I can reach thumb-to-pinky around my MAP 330, the Meridian fits my hand really nicely (my fingers don't overlap the display if I'm grabbing it tightly).

I actually mishandled my MeriGold this afternoon. I was being careless and it flipped right out of my hand and flew through the air. Reflexively, I lunged and caught it in mid-air. It really impressed the two people who saw me catch it, and it really impressed me that the rubber grip works well enough to snag it in midair without it just slipping out of my hand. icon_smile.gif

Guest bunkerdave

Just because EVERYONE who reads this thread is going to ask the same thing...how much?

Meridian (base - whatever they call it)

Meridian GOLD

Meridian Platinum

I am still trying to figure out what the MeriPlat could have that the Gold doesn't. Is it just the electronic compass and the barometric altimeter? Anyone ever used these two items in a GPS? Are they THAT valuable?

Nice review. I'll be saving my pennies. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest bunkerdave

Just because EVERYONE who reads this thread is going to ask the same thing...how much?

Meridian (base - whatever they call it)

Meridian GOLD

Meridian Platinum

I am still trying to figure out what the MeriPlat could have that the Gold doesn't. Is it just the electronic compass and the barometric altimeter? Anyone ever used these two items in a GPS? Are they THAT valuable?

Nice review. I'll be saving my pennies. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

I do a lot of hiking and its fun to have the compass and a way to track elevation over the course of a hike. Necessary? NO, but thats not what gadgets are for! icon_biggrin.gif

Also, a true compass that you can switch over to when your stuck in auto-averaging is very helpful.

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

I do a lot of hiking and its fun to have the compass and a way to track elevation over the course of a hike. Necessary? NO, but thats not what gadgets are for! icon_biggrin.gif

Also, a true compass that you can switch over to when your stuck in auto-averaging is very helpful.

Guest Iron Chef

I'm impressed ClayJar. If I had the money I'd defiantly get a Meridian as a backup/field unit to go with my GPS V, but I'm lucky if I can keep the lights on after buying the V (not that it wasn't worth it *grins*). Anyways, a very impressive display and great pictures. If I was a beginner looking to buy a good GPS today, I'd defiantly give serious thought to getting a MeriGold over a eTrex.

Now, if they would only appear in stores so I could go play with one.... ;~)

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest ClayJar

Cyber-Marine.com is where I got mine from. If you order from them, I'd do it over the phone so they can tell you about availability and such. Their customer service was quite excellent.

Prices:

Meridian GPS $207.75

Meridian Gold $267.12

Merdidian Platinum $296.00

Meridian Marine $278.99

(Of course, the release dates for the Marine and Plat haven't come around yet, but they can tell you if they have them yet or not.)

Someone said they'd ordered from the GPS Store, but I've never dealt with them (and their site doesn't make it easy to find anything of value, but I guess you could if you tried harder).

Guest prv8eye

quote:

Someone said they'd ordered from the GPS Store, but I've never dealt with them (and their site doesn't make it easy to find anything of value, but I guess you could if you tried harder).[/b]

My wife ordered my Meridian Gold from TheGPSStore.com for $269.95.

We received it on the 15th.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest prv8eye

quote:

Okay, here we go. This is my preliminary informative review of the Magellan Meridian Gold. icon_biggrin.gif

Clayjar,

OUTSTANDING review of the Meridian.

THANKYOU for taking the time to do it. I have no doubt that your work has helped answer a lot of question for a lot of people.

Too bad your report, along with your download instructions, isn't available on a web site somewhere. (give you any ideas? )

There is a Yahoo groups site specifically for the Meridians. Not too much traffic yet but I'm sure it will become a busy group.

Would it be alright with you if I posted your review there?

Gus

Guest prv8eye

quote:

Okay, here we go. This is my preliminary informative review of the Magellan Meridian Gold. icon_biggrin.gif

Clayjar,

OUTSTANDING review of the Meridian.

THANKYOU for taking the time to do it. I have no doubt that your work has helped answer a lot of question for a lot of people.

Too bad your report, along with your download instructions, isn't available on a web site somewhere. (give you any ideas? )

There is a Yahoo groups site specifically for the Meridians. Not too much traffic yet but I'm sure it will become a busy group.

Gus

Sorry if this is a dumb question - I'm still new to GPS units.

In order to get a Meridian displaying topo maps, I would need to get:

unit - approx $210

mapsend topo - approx $90

SD RAM - approx $40

Total = approx $340

Is that right or am I missing something? The way I read the Magellan web site you cannot upload maps into the built-in 2MB, as that is only for the basemap. You have to get an SD card.

Andy

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by prv8eye:

Sure, as long as my name and e-mail address stay with it, feel free to pass it along.

No, ajayre, that's actually a pretty good question, and yes, that's basically the right answer. You need the Meridian, the MapSend disc, and an SD card to upload maps to the unit. The uploaded detail maps are saved on the SD card, and everything else (basemap, waypoints, routes, etc) are saved internally.

Also, it might be an interesting note that the waypoints, routes, and such are stored in non-volatile memory (i.e. it won't lose them even with extended power loss), and the clock (and satellite information) is now retained for 12 hours with the batteries dead/removed. That's long enough to charge a pair of NiMH's with a solar charger and put them back in without having to reinitialize. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by prv8eye:

Sure, as long as my name and e-mail address stay with it, feel free to pass it along.

No, ajayre, that's actually a pretty good question, and yes, that's basically the right answer. You need the Meridian, the MapSend disc, and an SD card to upload maps to the unit. The uploaded detail maps are saved on the SD card, and everything else (basemap, waypoints, routes, etc) are saved internally.

Also, it might be an interesting note that the waypoints, routes, and such are stored in non-volatile memory (i.e. it won't lose them even with extended power loss), and the clock (and satellite information) is now retained for 12 hours with the batteries dead/removed. That's long enough to charge a pair of NiMH's with a solar charger and put them back in without having to reinitialize. icon_smile.gif

e internal memory is only used for the basemap, and an SD is used for detailed maps which is what most would want, then why spend the extra for the Gold?

I would guess that a 16MB basemap is a lot better than a 2MB basemap, but I keep hearing folks say how you outgrow a basemap quickly and uploading detailed maps is the way to go.

ClayJar, the first thing you did was get a 64MB SD and learn how to upload detaild maps. So why did you spend the extra for a gold over the basic, seeing how you intened to immediatly use it?

Inquiring minds want to know icon_smile.gif

e internal memory is only used for the basemap, and an SD is used for detailed maps which is what most would want, then why spend the extra for the Gold?

I would guess that a 16MB basemap is a lot better than a 2MB basemap, but I keep hearing folks say how you outgrow a basemap quickly and uploading detailed maps is the way to go.

ClayJar, the first thing you did was get a 64MB SD and learn how to upload detaild maps. So why did you spend the extra for a gold over the basic, seeing how you intened to immediatly use it?

Inquiring minds want to know icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

Okay, so why did I get the Meridian Gold instead of just the Meridian GPS? I liked the color better. icon_smile.gif) When I recommend Meridians, I usually do recommend the plain Meridian GPS.

(So, does this return the eccentricity advantage to me, or do I have to write something really wierd to return the cheese-headed trophy to my mantle?)

Guest ClayJar

Okay, so why did I get the Meridian Gold instead of just the Meridian GPS? I liked the color better. icon_smile.gif) When I recommend Meridians, I usually do recommend the plain Meridian GPS.

(So, does this return the eccentricity advantage to me, or do I have to write something really wierd to return the cheese-headed trophy to my mantle?)

Clayjar,

The manual came on CD right? PDF format?

Could you please slip me a copy? I'm have a really hard time deciding between the eTrex Venture and the Meridian. icon_smile.gif

Also how does the screen resolution compare to the eTrex (not basic)? I know they have a higher res than the Meridian...

Andy

aayretest@earthlink.net

Clayjar,

The manual came on CD right? PDF format?

Could you please slip me a copy? I'm have a really hard time deciding between the eTrex Venture and the Meridian. icon_smile.gif

Also how does the screen resolution compare to the eTrex (not basic)? I know they have a higher res than the Meridian...

Andy

aayretest@earthlink.net

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by ajayre:

I only have experience with the MAP 330 and Meridian. I can tell you Saturday evening how they stack up, as we should have some Garminites at the LAGG. The user manual is on its way.

I'm uploading the 7.5+ MB user manual to my site temporarily. I don't want to infringe on any copyrights, but I think they wouldn't mind too much if I let you see it to compare with That Other Brand. icon_wink.gif It will be at http://www.clayjar.com/gc/MeridianUM_Eng.pdf , but it'll take a while to upload. I'd say wait until 6:50-7:00pm CDT before you go for it.

Guest ClayJar

quote:

I only have experience with the MAP 330 and Meridian. I can tell you Saturday evening how they stack up, as we should have some Garminites at the LAGG. The user manual is on its way.

I'm uploading the 7.5+ MB user manual to my site temporarily. I don't want to infringe on any copyrights, but I think they wouldn't mind too much if I let you see it to compare with That Other Brand. icon_wink.gif It will be at http://www.clayjar.com/gc/MeridianUM_Eng.pdf , but it'll take a while to upload. I'd say wait until 6:50-7:00pm CDT before you go for it.

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

I don't think that Magellan will mind the users manual being online, Garmin goes out of their way to put them on their website for download so I was surpised to hear that Magellan didn't do the same.

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

I don't think that Magellan will mind the users manual being online, Garmin goes out of their way to put them on their website for download so I was surpised to hear that Magellan didn't do the same.

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest phantom4099

I was just reading the manual and it said that the housing is "wheather proof", isn't that what the m330 is rated? Why don't they say something along the line of IXP7 or water proof at 1 meter for 30 min?

quote:

Cyber-Marine.com is where I got mine from. If you order from them, I'd do it over the phone so they can tell you about availability and such. Their customer service was quite excellent.

I must have hit them on a bad day. I called to find out about the Meridian Gold on Monday (10/15) and was told that all the Meridian's that they have received have been sent out to cover backorders and that they are not expecting any new ones until December.

Guest brazil_player

nd say OK.

Find "maps.img" in the "Export" directory under MapSend (C:Program FilesMagellanMapSend...Export).Using your SD card reader, copy "maps.img" to an SD card and rename it to "DETAIL00.IMG"Put the SD card into your Meridian and enjoy!

Note: You can also transfer any of the detail maps from the "...ExportImages" directory, but the Meridian will only recognize one file (the one you name "DETAIL00.IMG"). If you want to have more than one detailed region, you must use the "maps.img", which is the joined image of the regions you've selected.

ClayJar:

Thanks for an excellent review. I am almost ready to get a MeriPlat when it comes out. A quick question though: Do you suggest buying multiple 8 MB SD cards with different detailed areas on each or would you go with a larger SD card and use the joined maps.img (obviously rename it to DETAIL00.IMG). Also since the new 128 MB SD cards are now available, would those work in MeriPlat as well or does it have a "limit" on reading only upto the 64 MB cards.

Thanks

Brazil_player

Clayjar,

Thanks for the manual!

I noticed the screenshots looks really poor in the manual. Are they accurate to how to display looks on the unit or are they just bad screenshots?

Andy

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by laurie:

I must have hit them on a bad day. I called to find out about the Meridian Gold on Monday (10/15) and was told that all the Meridian's that they have received have been sent out to cover backorders and that they are not expecting any new ones until December.

They're not the only game in town. Try thegpsstore.com. They sent mine in two days.

If they're out, there are pleanty of other dealers.

Gus

Guest prv8eye

quote:

I thought the same way until I read all of the posts by veterans complaining of battery drain and the absolute, common sense, safety need to take along a regular compass anyway.

Also keep in mind that the Platinum MAY NOT have an altimeter.

The web site only says "Barometer tracks baromtric pressure like a weather station"

I can find nothing in Magellan's advertising that says the Platinum has an altimeter. You'd think they would emphasize that if it were so and you know what happens when you ASSume .

Since I prefer the longer battery life and have a couple of good compasses anyway AND couldn't stand to wait for over two more months (mostly that last thing )I opted for the Gold.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest prv8eye

quote:

I thought the same way until I read all of the posts by veterans complaining of battery drain and the absolute, common sense, safety need to take along a regular compass anyway.

Also keep in mind that the Platinum MAY NOT have an altimeter.

The web site only says "Barometer tracks baromtric pressure like a weather station"

I can find nothing in Magellan's advertising that says the Platinum has an altimeter. You'd think they would emphasize that if it were so and you know what happens when you ASSume .

Since I prefer the longer battery life and have a couple of good compasses anyway AND couldn't stand to wait for over two more months (mostly that last thing )I opted for the Gold.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by brazil_player:

A quick question though: Do you suggest buying multiple 8 MB SD cards with different detailed areas on each or would you go with a larger SD card and use the joined maps.img (obviously rename it to DETAIL00.IMG). Also since the new 128 MB SD cards are now available, would those work in MeriPlat as well or does it have a "limit" on reading only upto the 64 MB cards.

Okay, the current version of MapSend Topo allows you to create detail map sections up to 32MB, IIRC. Four of these sections would fill up a 128MB card; so I believe that you should be fine with 128MB cards. Since 64MB cards are about 1/3 the price of 128MB cards, you'd be better off getting those than the expensive 128MB ones.

Regarding size of your SD card(s): I'd buy the biggest one I could afford, up to 64MB. Then I'd take the time to create mapsets of the areas I'd likely go. In my case, I created detail maps of the states near me, and then I made several mapsets out of these, which means that when I plan a trip north, I can just copy "North.img" to my card and have all of Louisiana, Arkansas, et al. If I'm going another way, I can copy that mapset, and if I'm going to be around Louisiana, I just keep my default "all of Louisiana and then some" mapset.

The nice thing about making mapsets is that once you have the individual "(region).img" files created, picking four of them to put together in a mapset is much faster.

quote:

I noticed the screenshots looks really poor in the manual. Are they accurate to how to display looks on the unit or are they just bad screenshots?

It's just distortion caused by the image compression in the PDF. The actual screen is very clear and crisp and easily readable

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

Is there a way to upload more than 4 areas?

You'd need a bigger SD card (bigger than 128MB). But then you really have to ask yourself if you really need that many maps loaded at once and if you need more than that. In the future, I'm sure that maps will be much larger in size and detail, but right now 128 MB is almost excessive.

------------------

-Iron Chef