Garmin V Serial to USB

Goblin

Does anyone have drivers to do this? I have the cable, I contacted Garmin they said I need drivers for the cable. As far as I know drivers are for devices not cables. The USB "software" they have on their site is for the data card programmer NOT for the V. Any and all help is appreciated.

If you bought the converter cable that slides into the USB port and then allows for the attachment of the serial device, then you will indeed need drivers for that cable.

If all you have is the serial cable which attaches the gpsr and the computer, you don't have everything you need. You need the cable referred to above.

Here is one possible source:

http://www.usbgear.com/usa/item_288.html

I bought a PDA serial to USB adapter. It came with the driver software. Paid 15 bux on eBay and they go for $20 and up at computer stores. They are very fussy and don't work well to load maps and I understand they won't work at all if you try to load new firmware. Seems like the secret to get it to work is using the right connection and fire up sequence. First connect cable to GPS. Second, connect to USB port. Third, power up the GPS. Fourth, load the program - Mapsource, Easy GPS, USAPhotomap or whatever. Finally, cross your fingers and it sometimes works.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin