Need Garmin help, please

I purchased a Garmin StreetPilot III Deluxe with a 128mb data card included about 4 days ago. I cannot get the maps to load onto the data card, if I use the usb data card programmer, I get a message that the card in the unit is unrecognizable and to replace it with another. If I use the serial cable, I get the message that the file I am trying to download from mapsource is too big to fit into the gps unit. However, I tried to download an 897kb map, and the message stated it was like 890 kb to big. I know, obviously, that I have to stay under 128 mb for it to fit on the card, and the largest area I attempted to download has been around 110 to 110 mb.

Reading the literature that came with the product, it sounds like the card is bad. My question is do you all think garmin will replace my data card. Like I said, it is only 4 days old, even though it was bundled in the package with the streetpilot? And, is this normal for a card to burn or not function correctly so fast. It shouldn't have been caused by a faulty GPS unit or usb card programmer, should it?

Also, I updated the mapsource CD to version 4.13 from 4.01, and updated the drivers for the usb card programmer. My computer recognizes the card programmer and says it is working in the device manager.

Will garmin help me out? Or do you all know of any other solutions?

Thanks

Greetings Crash755. I don't have any experience with your particular problems but I do know that the current beta version upgrade makes mention of what you are trying to do in its list of fixes and feature changes.

Take a look at this thread to see the list.

Good luck, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

Thanks, Olar....

Apparently Garmin doesn't have tech support for the beta version, so maybe I should wait and call them on monday. Have you downloaded numerous times on a data card and not had any problems?

This is my first time to this forum, and it is awesome. I never knew geocaching existed. I have a magellan gold, too, and I should get in the game...

Mike

I just had this happen to me the other day and got the same error. What I did was make sure that the card is all the way into the reader, push hard until it clicks. The first time it was not all the way in, didn't want to break anything. After doing this it worked. Once again make sure that the card is in all the way.

If this does not work well I guess call Garmin and see what they have to say.

In any case I hope all works out for you and enjoy the SPIII.

icon911.gif

beerchug.gif

Just to let you all know, I contacted garmin yesterday and in less than 5 minutes they determined the card was in fact defective. They are sending a new one out to me....

They were a real pleasure to deal with. They didn't even want me to send the other one back in, and the new one was fedexed overnight to me. Should be here today.