Topofusion vs. ExpertGPS

Greetings,

I'm currently evaluating Topofusion and ExpertGPS and wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on these packages. My main desire is to be able to map waypoints on aerial map's but topo's as well. Initially it appears Topofusion is VERY fast and does everything I need for a decent price. The only drawback so far is not being able to import .loc files. Does pocket queries allow for downloading of .gpx formatted files instead of .loc files? If so that would eliminate the step of opening in EasyGPS, saving as .gpx, then opening in Topofusion. All comments/opinions welcome!

Currently when I convert the .loc files to .gpx via EasyGPS some data fields get lost. I've also noticed some threads regarding other software having problems with the .gpx files that EasyGPS creates. Do the .gpx files that Pocket Queries create have all the fields? Are these more compatible overall with the various software packages? Leaning heavily to purchase Topofusion at this point. Scott at Topofusion responds to email very quickly and seems interested in user feedback to improve.

Spyder 40, you mentioned EasyGPS three times and ExpertGPS once in your two posts. Which one do you really have?

I have not heard of Topofusion until now, but I can't imagine it having more utility than ExpertGPS, which allows the simultaneous display of Topo and Sat photos with all the waypoints and tracks you could ever need. Plus there is an updated version just out.

don

Cachetrotters,

I'm evaluating Topofusion and ExpertGPS since they both do the mapping. Currently I'm using EasyGPS to do my file translations. I don't think there is any difference in the file translation capabilities between ExpertGPS and EasyGPS from the other threads. What I have found so far is that Topofusion is much quicker and easier to use than ExpertGPS. It has all the sat/topo maps, does tracking, waypoints, shows elevation changes on tracks, allows replaying of tracks, etc. I've also found it is pretty handy at finding coordinates of points on maps. Bring up a sat map of the area, put the pointer on the location, and the coordinates are at the top. It's also cheaper at $40.

www.topofusion.com

Do the .gpx Pocket Queries contain all the data fields that the ExpertGPS/EasyGPS conversions (.loc to .gpx) munge? I'm planning on becoming a member anyway but that will push the priority up my money budget. So little money so many hobbies...and all require cash!

quote:
Originally posted by spyder40:

Do the .gpx Pocket Queries contain all the data fields that the ExpertGPS/EasyGPS conversions (.loc to .gpx) munge? I'm planning on becoming a member anyway but that will push the priority up my money budget. So little money so many hobbies...and all require cash!

They contain everything you want and more. Once you are getting .gpx PQ files, be sure to check out LilDevil's GPX Spinner, ClayJar's Watcher and FizzyMagic's gpx2html programs. They are all amazingly useful.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by spyder40:

Marky,

Thanks for the info! Looks like it's time to shuffle the cash priorities...

Hey, my pleasure. Right now I'm totally hooked on GPX Spinner 2.0. I love being able to change the icon based on cache type, and have the difficulty and terrain as part of the waypoint so I can just look at the map and know a bunch of the details. I'm not using it to generate the HTML files, but that's another story. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"