Magellan Meridian Green?

McGoal

Is this the basic Magellan Meridian GPS? I have seen this one advertised and also a Magellan Meridian Yellow which was $10 more. Any difference besides color? I couldn't find the colors on MagellanGPS.com. I am new to Geocaching and this will be my first GPS.

Are the SD memory cards proprietary in any way or will it accept any SD memory card?

Anyone use Delorme Hunt'n Map? It is NMEA compliant so will it work with the Magellan?

Thank for bearing with me and all these questions!icon_smile.gif

Bought two Merigreens at Xmas, and gave one to my sister in Ohio(I am also from there). Both work great. You need the standard SD card. I don't believe the SD Multimedia card will work, but could be wrong.

Also, I think the yellow is for outside North America. Someplace, somewhere, I read a post on some forum from a gal in South America who had a question about her yellow; Argentina, perhaps. Anyway, that's why I was thinking not N.A.

Have not used Delorme products.

don

[This message was edited by Cachetrotters on January 31, 2003 at 07:47 PM.]

Any SD card is supposed to work, although I have seen recommendations to be wary of no-name brands. I am using SanDisk with good results.

Multimedia cards are also supposed to work, although they seem to be slightly smaller than SD cards and so may not fit quite as well as the SD cards. The work there is use multimedia if you already have 'em, but if you're buying get a respectable brand SD card.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

I found the Magellan Meridian Green at FRY's - outpost.com for 119.99. Looks like a good deal. I also like the sport-trac map but it doesn't appear to have the expandable memory and I couldn't discern any huge advantage it had over the merigreen. Is this a correct assumption?

I bought a Yellow Meridian GPS from Outpost.com and didn't notice that the green one was $10 cheaper. I just liked the yellow color better. I don't see anything that would indicate it was for export only. The Quick Start Guide is in multiple languages but all of them probably are.

The first Yellow I received was returned because it kept loosing it's user-added memory content. This one seems to be fine so far.