Any way to download saved tracks from Garmin eTrex?

quote:
Originally posted by TopoGrafix:

http://www.expertgps.com will let you send and receive tracklogs to and from your GPS, in addition to the geocaching waypoint files from this website.

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com/

BUT... depending on which E-Trex you have, you can upload tracks. Well, actually, you can upload to ALL the E-Trex models, but some take a larger upload than others.

I started with a yellow. I tried to upload tracks. They were short. I asked Dan above (thanks Dan) and he gave me the clue. Turns out the yellow will take a maximum of 125 legs (turns) per track.

HOWEVER: with ExpertGPS, if you select a track, then right-click it, then click simplify track, you can cut it down.

This only gave me trouble once. Some day I am going to send the original and the simplified to Dan and let him figure why it takes a gentle S-curve in the trail and turns it into a straight line. But he is busy, and I hate to bother him. If you are reading this Dan, someday when you are NOT busy...... I tried it several times, always same result. Original track is too long to upload, simplified is grossly incorrect in the S-curve. I can send you both original and simplified. Someday when you have time. icon_biggrin.gif

The yellow takes 125 legs. The Venture 250. I don't know about the others.

I am extremly pleased with ExpertGPS. And Dan is very responsive. Even when he is on vacation (which is when I always have problems) he gets you an answer. Last, the price is great. I have other programs. But ExpertGPS is what I turn to most often, and the only one I have on my laptop in the field.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Sarcasm is a cutting, often ironic remark according to the American Heritage Dictionary, 3rd edition. I just answered your question in a simple straight forward manner. Simple is as simple does! (That's meant to be sarcastic.) icon_razz.gif

Go to the below link to find a variety of software that allows you to download tracks. ExpertGPS & GPS Trackmaker are both good, and a lot of people like USAphotomaps. You can run a search through this forum and get many opinions, tips, and suggestions about the various programs.

Good luck! (That's sincerity.) icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.geocomm.com/channel/gps/software/

No offense meant trailkat.. tks for the link.

Desert_Warrior - I have the eTrex Vista.

As a side note I noticed the export to ArcView, my wife has a GIS certification and uses ArcGIS in her job, so we may think about the GIS pack to have some fun playing with the ESRI software.