LOw Memory Battery warning on a Garmin GPS 12XL

Hi All,

I'm currently using a friend's spare Garmin GPS12XL and it is displaying a "Low Memory Battery" message each time I turn it on. The manual has a reference to a Lithium battery in the tech spec but no other information about it. There doesn't appear to be any obvious way to get inside the unit to get at the battery but looking on the Garmin Web site under their general FAQ's it says that if you get ths message you need to power the unit from an external source or put a fresh set of AA's in and leave it on for 5 days to recharge the memory battery! I asked in a local chandlery where the unit was bought a few years ago and they said it would have to go back to Garmin to have the battery replaced. Has anyone else seen this message and sorted it out ?

It's a common problem with older units. The lithium battery is charged from the AAs so if it has sat with rundown batteries for a long period the lithium battery will also be drained.

Try doing what they say on their website and if that doesn't work contact Garmin. From posts on the news groups it's fairly likely that Garmin will replace the lithium battery at no charge.

PDOP's GPS Pages

Thanks for that. I actually put a fresh set of batteries in it yesterday and this morning it stopped complaining about low memory battery so it seems like the lithium battery is gradually charging up. The data on one web site selling GPS's said that the GPS12 has a rechargeable lithium battery for backup but the 12XL has a lithium battery with an expected life of 10 years. I would have thought they would have been the same! I do like the rugged design of the GPS12 but am wondering if it's worth buying what is effectively a fairly old model against something like a Geko 201 that is available at the same price. Any thoughts ?

I believe the lithium batteries are the same in botb units. You shouldn't have any further problems if you keep fresh AAs in your 12XL.

You're right about the 12 series being dated but if you can get it for a good price it's still a good unit.

The newer units use 2 batteries instead of 4, have increased capacity for tracklogs and offer some other extra features. Personally I'd stay away from the Geko because it uses the more expensive AAA batteries. Any of the Etrex or 76 series would be good.

PDOP's GPS Pages

I have the same problem with my 12XL! But have been told that it is completely outdated and with no service whatsoever.

I find it difficult to dump a good old friend as garbage just because the memory isn't what it used to be.

In fact I have the same problem myself.

So.. are there anyone who knows how to take the unit apart so the lithium battery can be replaced.

One thing that has worked for me in the past when the internal battery was saying low memory battery is to plug it into 12v and leave connected for 24 hours, with the unit turned off. This will recharge the internal battery in some instances, even when installing new AA batteries doesn't recharge the internal battery. Just make sure to always check the AA batteries every few months even when the unit is stored for long periods of time and replace the batteries if they get low.

There is a set of instructions on the web on how to replace the internal battery and the type of battery it requires.

Information: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/lofiversi...php?t38975.html

Edited by eaparks

Hi All,<BR>I'm currently using a friend's spare Garmin GPS12XL and it is displaying a "Low Memory Battery" message each time I turn it on. The manual has a reference to a Lithium battery in the tech spec but no other information about it. There doesn't appear to be any obvious way to get inside the unit to get at the battery but looking on the Garmin Web site under their general FAQ's it says that if you get ths message you need to power the unit from an external source or put a fresh set of AA's in and leave it on for 5 days to recharge the memory battery! I asked in a local chandlery where the unit was bought a few years ago and they said it would have to go back to Garmin to have the battery replaced. Has anyone else seen this message and sorted it out ?

Hi All,<BR>I'm currently using a friend's spare Garmin GPS12XL and it is displaying a "Low Memory Battery" message each time I turn it on. The manual has a reference to a Lithium battery in the tech spec but no other information about it. There doesn't appear to be any obvious way to get inside the unit to get at the battery but looking on the Garmin Web site under their general FAQ's it says that if you get ths message you need to power the unit from an external source or put a fresh set of AA's in and leave it on for 5 days to recharge the memory battery! I asked in a local chandlery where the unit was bought a few years ago and they said it would have to go back to Garmin to have the battery replaced. Has anyone else seen this message and sorted it out ?

Thanks for reply.

Have now supplyed the unit with four new batteries and switched it off. Will leave the unit for five days until sunday evening and see if there will bee any change.