Got an iPAQ & a Navman... now what software???

mistuk

Hi folks,

New to all of this, but hoping to have our first go in Ireland on holiday in August. So I've got an iPAQ with the Navman 3000 GPS sleeve. What other software should I get to make my Geocahcing experience a good one??

Cheers,

Kev

Ive been looking for software for awhile now to use with pocket pc. I dont think there is a real good one. It really doesnt make sence because they can make door to door software which seem harder or more complex, but no Geocaching software. What gives?

Im not experianced enough to say if its good or not, but I just started using OziExplorer-CE and it seems to do everything I need it to do. I can set waypoints and routes with the PC version. Download to the IPAQ and Im off. seems to show me everything I need, Distance to waypoint, speed, track, compass heading, etc. and it saves tracks to the IPAQ for replay later.

Go to Oziexplorer.com and download the PC and the CE versions and try them out. They work fairly well in the free mode. enough that you can tell if you want to buy them or not.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

Im not experianced enough to say if its good or not, but I just started using OziExplorer-CE and it seems to do everything I need it to do. I can set waypoints and routes with the PC version. Download to the IPAQ and Im off. seems to show me everything I need, Distance to waypoint, speed, track, compass heading, etc. and it saves tracks to the IPAQ for replay later.

Go to Oziexplorer.com and download the PC and the CE versions and try them out. They work fairly well in the free mode. enough that you can tell if you want to buy them or not.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

I think that Duggie is saying that most software for the Pocket PC is map and street related. A hiker/Geocacher usually likes the compass screen pointing the way to go.

You mentioned the Ostia software. Does it perform like this? Compas screen with an arrow to the next waypoint?

I'll have to check it out.

quote:
I think that Duggie is saying that most software for the Pocket PC is map and street related. A hiker/Geocacher usually likes the compass screen pointing the way to go.

You mentioned the Ostia software. Does it perform like this? Compas screen with an arrow to the next waypoint?

The Ostia does have a compas display that shows the direction that you are heading but not direction to next waypoint. It shows distance to next waypoint. BUT you can only place waypoints on roads and streets.

The OziExplorer-CE software lets you place a Waypoint anyware on the map not just on roads. Using the OziExplorer for the PC you can import and calibrate topo maps, creat waypoints and routes. OziExplorer-CE does not have a compass diagram but it does give you your current heading. It will also give you the bearing and distance to the next waypoint. I just use my old Boy Scout Pathfinder compass to find the direction to go.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by Lapaglia on August 02, 2002 at 08:15 PM.]

quote:

The Ostia does have a compas display that shows the direction that you are heading but not direction to next waypoint. It shows distance to next waypoint. BUT you can only place waypoints on roads and streets.

The OziExplorer-CE software lets you place a Waypoint anyware on the map not just on roads. Using the OziExplorer for the PC you can import and calibrate topo maps, creat waypoints and routes. OziExplorer-CE does not have a compass diagram but it does give you your current heading. It will also give you the bearing and distance to the next waypoint. I just use my old Boy Scout Pathfinder compass to find the direction to go.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

[This message was edited by Lapaglia on August 02, 2002 at 08:15 PM.]

I have been searching for awhile now and stumbled onto (Terrasync) software for the ipaq.

You can download the demo but it's simulated. Bad move on terrasync's part. I had a Garmin Etrek and terrasync software seems to be pretty much the same but with alot more feature's.

Check it out at Http://www.trible.com

I have yet to find out what the price is for the terrasync sortware and where to buy it from