Garmin eTrex Vista Only!

Greetings all icon_smile.gif

Firefishe, outta Michigan.

The "Great 3 Garmin (GPS-V, GPSmap 76S, and eTrex Vista) Choice Debate" from the old forums is simmering down to a dull boil. I have the long-awaited job now and it's just a matter of waiting at this point.

Due to my overwhelming desire to get out and 'cache and my wanting a few extras to go with the GPSr I choose, I'm deciding on the Vista as my first unit. It's light, it's feature-packed, and those belt cases are ultra cool! icon_cool.gif

So, unless I find April with the GPSmap 76S in full view with a deal and a half--the same goes for the GPS-V--and due to most of my needs being met by a GPSr devoted to hiking, and the Vista being BlueChart compatible for the occasional marine foray, and the fact of it's light weight (again, I'm mostly using it for hiking to 'caches on the days I'm not working), the Vista is going to be my GPSr of choice. For my "first" one, icon_wink.gif *snicker*

I plan to have them all one day...I'm going to open up an "Exploration and Adventure" store in my area in a year or two. After seeing the geocaching.com site for the first time, I found out something about myself I had forgotten: I love a good treasure hunt and exploration of the "unknown" and enjoy surprises. Like...what's around the next bend in the trail, what's over the horizon? (Usually great views! icon_smile.gif )

So I'm putting together a business plan to allow me to "have them all!" icon_smile.gif I want to thank everyone on these forums for helping me--through your participation, technical assitance, and witticisms :)icon_biggrin.gif You've all truly helped me to find my Own True Self these past couple of months.

Oh...as an "aside" (although now "she's" the most important figure in my life)...I Am Engaged! icon_smile.gif So now someone else is present to share in this "Great Adventure,"--of Life...and of Geocaching! icon_smile.gif

Thanks folks! Mucho Blessings Upon You. (takes off mitre) :)

Okay...so much for the mushy stuff. Here's what I'd like to ask: I want anything and everything on the Garmin eTrex Vista. everything that I might want to know about this unit, it's performance in cover, any quirks anywhere, whatever might be there...you know the drill.

Thanks much in advance,

Ecstatically joyful <*[[[[[>< !!!

Firefishe

Well, I had the Legend... which is very similar just a few less features, and well.

The coverage blows... Yes I know I heard it all before I got it and I didn't think it would be that bad but it really does. I finally got sick of it (only 3 months), and got a V.

I was going to do some comparisons in the field but after taking my V to an area that the eTrex had trouble in, I realized this wasn't necicary. The V worked flawlessly, excelent coverage and accuracy.

Dont make the mistake I did, get the MAP 76 or the V with the Quad Helix antenna. OR you can by my Legend for $180 and learn the same way I did.

quote:
Originally posted by Vertigo:

Well, I had the Legend... which is very similar just a few less features, and well.

The coverage blows... Yes I know I heard it all before I got it and I didn't think it would be that bad but it really does. I finally got sick of it (only 3 months), and got a V.

I was going to do some comparisons in the field but after taking my V to an area that the eTrex had trouble in, I realized this wasn't necicary. The V worked flawlessly, excelent coverage and accuracy.

Dont make the mistake I did, get the MAP 76 or the V with the Quad Helix antenna. OR you can by my Legend for $180 and learn the same way I did.

Well, I'm actually looking at the Vista and not the legend...more memory, etc.

I'll keep this in mind, though.

Thanks, Fishe.

Vertigo is right... the two use the same chipset and antenna - I've got a Vista a few months ago and unless you are going to be clear of any tree coverage, the thing is almost useless. I kicked myself after using it for the first time because I didn't realize it didn't have a quad helix antenna, like the 76 does.

For accuracy, both under and out of coverage, make sure the GPS you have has a quad helix antenna.

Because of the coverage, I use my Magellan Globalnav 6000 most of the time, unless there is a lot of hiking involved. I just ordered another GPS (a navitrak) and I'll let everyone know how that works.

But to be honest, if I were to buy another Garmin, I would either get the GPS map 76 OR wait for the new Rino 120 to come out - it has a guad helix antenna and a two-way radio built into it. You can bean your location to another Rino user and vice-versa. It's going to be sweet!

Mark

quote:
Originally posted by markusby:

Vertigo is right... the two use the same chipset and antenna - I've got a Vista a few months ago and unless you are going to be clear of any tree coverage, the thing is almost useless. I kicked myself after using it for the first time because I didn't realize it didn't have a quad helix antenna, like the 76 does.

For accuracy, both under and out of coverage, make sure the GPS you have has a quad helix antenna.

Because of the coverage, I use my Magellan Globalnav 6000 most of the time, unless there is a lot of hiking involved. I just ordered another GPS (a navitrak) and I'll let everyone know how that works.

But to be honest, if I were to buy another Garmin, I would either get the GPS map 76 OR wait for the new Rino 120 to come out - it has a guad helix antenna and a two-way radio built into it. You can bean your location to another Rino user and vice-versa. It's going to be sweet!

Mark

Hi Mark icon_smile.gif Thanks for your reply.

The Globalnav 6000? Is that an aviation unit? Also, what is a Navitrak? Magellan?

I have had an etrex vista for several months now. I love it! I have had no problems with GPS reception. I bought one for my girlfriend, and then she decided she wasn't going to use it. If interested firefische, I have one slightly used. It has been used about 40 minutes total. But yes, I have no problem with it, and I love the electronic compass! The size of it makes it very convienent. Let me know. Thanks!

I have not had any problems with either the Vista or Legend, I own both. I been happy with the job they have done in the Jet Car, my Mt. and Road Bikes, as well as on Hiking adventures with the HHC.

Great size and weight, I never leave the Banzai Institute without one of them!

I did have an issue with the total memory in the Legend,and upgraded to the Vista for it's 24 mb. Now I always have map I need (Topo, R&R, or MG).

Buckaroo....

Perhaps I'm a bit spoiled. The Globalnav 6000 is a handheld chartplotter and it will keep a lock on your position from insite my house. Pretty amazing, considering that I have a barrel-tile roof.

People don't realize how much better the quad helix makes a GPS - if the Globalnav wasn't so bulky or fragile, I would still be using it for caching.

I just did a cache today with the Vista - I had to swim about half of a mile and did so with the Vista in my pocket. Not a problem, until the tree cover started screwing with the reception.

The navitrak DNA is a new type of GPS that allows you to upload raster and vector images (USGS topo maps and USGS 1 meter sattelite images) and view them with your position superimposed. It's an intense GPS and is made to milspec standards.

http://www.navitrak.com

Owning a GPS is no different that owning a car. If it is your first car or you never had a reliable car, an unreliable car fits your needs just fine and you will think it's awesome, even thought it might not work now and then. But when you get a car that never breaks down (or a GPS that doesn't lose satilite signal and maintains accuracy in the worst of conditions), you don't want to go back to the car that doesn't function as well.

I'm not saying the Vista is a bad unit. But there are many units out there that perform their designated tasks a whole lot better, thought they might not have the digital compas built inside. Hopefully, the NAvitrak will solve that problem for me.

So far as I can tell, the Navtrack has lots of cool features and is ungainly and not actually very useful on the trail.

Like a motorcyle in the rain. The ability to download a USGS is cool. You would need megaram to deal with raster images. Having a peeople to look through while hiking or zoning in on a geocache is problimatic.

This unit needs more work. Maybe it's perfect for another version of hiking. Just not caching. Of course it depends on your application. A corolla makes a lousy 4x4 and a 4x4 makes a lousy commuter car. It's all in your use.

Now dont take my post as a complete bash to the Vista/Legend and other eTrex line. They are all great GPSs that will serve many people perfectly, however... He specificaly asked about performanve in cover. Now, I know from first hand experience that the Vista/Legend etc is NOT the GPS you want if you will be under cover.

In response to "it's a Vista not a legend, it has more features" etc, this makes no difference to performage under cover, which is what my post was all about.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif