Etrex magnet variance

SeaTrout

Hi;

I understand the difference between true and magnetic north.I have searched the forums somewhat.My question is,does the yellow etrex 'look up' the declination based on lat/long and a snaphot of data or is it up to me to change the default setting ? If it has tables how do they get

updated. In my area the declination is not much but I did not think about the mag bearing error from my Etrex before.

Seatrout

quote:
Originally posted by SeaTrout:

Hi;

I understand the difference between true and magnetic north.I have searched the forums somewhat.My question is,does the yellow etrex 'look up' the declination based on lat/long and a snaphot of data or is it up to me to change the default setting ? If it has tables how do they get

updated. In my area the declination is not much but I did not think about the mag bearing error from my Etrex before.

Seatrout

Magnetic declination is pre-programmed in your GPSR for when you have it set at "AutoMag". My GPS V uses 10°W for my area but is actually closer to 11°. If I was doing some serious navigating I would use the "UserMag" setting and enter declination myself. It however allows entering degrees only and no minutes.

The unit manufactures would probably do an update of the data on some future software version but I'm not sure.

Best of the season, Olar

"Today really is Yesterday's Tomorrow"