Magellan's Maps

Brasileiro

I was "feild testing" a meridian the other day and I found that the stored base map to be very inaccurate. It showed me a half-a-maile or more away from the road on which I was driving. To me not a big deal, but does Magellan have the same problem on their software? I've used Garmin's the same way and found it to be very accurate.

I can't speak about the accuracy of the base map, as soon as I got my Meridian, I upgraded the firmware and installed MapSend Topo....I have found that in Northern CA, their Topo program, is spot on, in the mountains, going down the highway or through town..... the accuracy of where it showed me to be in retaliation to the actual road surprised me.

I have found some inaccuracies in the Topo program while hiking in the mountains, but then I know the area rather well and have found problems with the USGS 7.5 maps as well. The inaccuracies you have noted would be an obvious problem, but I have always felt that while it would be nice to have spot on accuracy in the map programs, this isn't going to happen for quite awhile...as long as my coords's are spot on, and my map shows me in the general area, I can usually figure out the rest. Some day we will have accurate maps....I hope.

From Stunod's post, it looks like the map accuracy may vary by location...

When I have used the unit while driving, my wife has mentioned that if I listened to her, I could close my eyes and she could tell me where to go........

Wait a min........I gotta ask her what she meant by that......

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I went out for my first cache this weekend. I used my new Meridian Plat for the first time (first time with any GPS for that matter) and found that the maps from Mapsend Topo were off in regard to the forest service roads. They would show me off about 30 feet or so. I agree with mtnsteve. As long as the maps show me where I am and how to get in or out, I am happy. They will get better with time.

I have had my merdian plat. since sept. have a 64 meg card in it and also have topo loaded. I used it in washington and montana and found that the roads seemed to off by about 30' pretty much everywhere, but it wasnt a big deal because they still ran the same directions and everything. so it was a relitive thing and after all if you cant find a road 30'away,,,well you be the judge. Iam still very pleased with my unit and software.