I Just bought a new Magellan Meridian need some help. PLEEEEZZZ

stlthy1

First goto http://joe.mehaffey.com/

This is the number one place to find out information about GPS receivers. Be sure to read the review of the Meridian at: http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/mag-gold.htm

Go down to the section labled "Links to Third-Party GPS Intermediate Software" There you will find several programs that will allow you to edit, transfer and save waypoints, routes and tracks. Some of these programs are free, others are shareware. A great free program that is not listed here is EasyGPS. It is at http://www.easygps.com/.

Which ever program you use, be sure to set the baud rate in the program you use and the GPS to the same value (4800 or 9600 baud works great).

It is generally best if you boot your computer first and then connect your GPS serial cable. Somtimes Windows mistakes a GPS receiver for a mouse if it is connected while Windows is booting.

Steve Simpkin

Ok....

Go here and find cache(s) near you and download the data(check boxes on several or whole page).

http://www.geocaching.com/hideseek/

Then go here:

http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/download.asp

And download EasyGPS for Groundspeak..

Files downloaded directly from Hide and Seek page can be loaded into EasyGPS, edited if necessary then sent to Magellan GPS....

(If files downloaded from hide and seek have a ".asp" extender added on, rename to remove ".asp")

This will get you started...

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

Use the RECEIVE command to pull data from GPS unit into Easy GPS or use SENT command to put data in EasyGPP into GPS unit...

Check the options in the "GPS" dropdown in the menu bar of EasyGPS.

If all else fails, you can always get the EasyGPS HELP FILES......

Dale

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

Ok I have been caching for a while but have never downloaded anything to my gps???

I just got the etrex legend and have been reading the forums on easy GPS spftware ??? What is it for can I use it on my legend.. I understand it has something to do with putting the cords into the unit but do I use it with other software like map source???????????someone clearify this for me?

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

quote:
Originally posted by Natureboy1376:

Ok I have been caching for a while but have never downloaded anything to my gps???

I just got the etrex legend and have been reading the forums on easy GPS spftware ??? What is it for can I use it on my legend.. I understand it has something to do with putting the cords into the unit but do I use it with other software like map source???????????someone clearify this for me?

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

easygps is a waypoint manager. it can be used to send/recieve waypoints(or routes/tracks) to/from your gps. it is also used to download cache waypoint information from this site.

used to download cache waypoint information from this site.

but what do you do with it from that point ,, see the way i have been caching is basically walking untill i find the general area and looking around...Does d/l the waypoint do anything, as in draw a map and show your tracks and distance from the d/l'd waypoint or does the gps have an alarm for when you match up the d/l'd wp to your posistion??????

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

quote:
Originally posted by stlthy1:

I did this and the Easy GPS aint so easy for me. I cant figure this thing out. When i get the info into easy gps how do i find it in my Magellan?

Yes i do have the pc data cable hooked up to my gps.

Thanks

If you have EasyGPS installed on your computer and the baud rate set on your GPS, (I use 9600),1. click on the download to easygps link on the cache page 2. you then can either download to your computer or open from the site (thats what I do ) 3. easygps will open with the geocache or caches listed.Go to file/preferences/edit set the baud rate the same as your GPS (it should be turned on now) highlite the cache or caches and hit "send" to transfer to the GPS. After the bar goes all the way from left to right, you can turn easy gps off. Go to menu/ database/user on your Magellan and the caches should be listed there as waypoints. hope that helps

Bob G. (1pilot)

Where are we going?......And WHY am I in this handbasket???