Vista can't use user as I supposed

apersson850

There have been a lot of questions about different norths here lately. I've stated that as long as you use the GPS alone, it doesn't matter whatever north you use. It will guide you correctly anyway.

Although this is correct in theory, it turns out that at least the Garmin eTrex Vista can't handle User north properly. If you set a north reference of for example 90º E, you still en up with the unit using magnetic north as the reference for the heading, but it does use the user setting for all bearings!!! icon_redface.gif

Or so I thought, until told that I've completely misunderstood the idea of the User north.

User north has one purpose only, and that is to be an alternative to magnetic north, if the value for the Magnetic Variation at your location is incorrect, when you use magnetic north as the heading setting.

So, if you use user north, you must set it to the correct declination, or you'll get lost.

Sorry for misinforming you first.

Anders

[This message was edited by Anders on September 09, 2002 at 08:20 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Well, Lars (sounds Nordic, immigrant?), are you happy anyway, or do you want me to try to explain?

Anders

ROTFLMAO! Well I understand you Anders old friend ... but I've also been in China just a little too long this trip already ... icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the chuckle!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!