Garmin eTrex Software Problem

Legend users beware that the newest software version 3.1 has a bug that, under certain circumstances, will cause your waypoint coordinates to change. I have observed this with my Legend set to UTM and WGS (it might occur under other conditions as well). The problem that can arise happens in two cases I have seen: 1)manually entering a waypoint's coordinates; 2) revising an existing waypoint's coordinates. What happens is as follows, in the Waypoint screen after entering (or editing) the waypoint coords and selecting "OK" to finalize the entry, the Northing coord will decrease by one digit. This will occur even if the existing coords are selected for editing, but not changed (i.e., clicking "OK" to exit the field still causes the Northing coord to decrease by one.

Garmin has confirmed this in a conversation I had with one of their techs. They are working out the bug and hope to have a fix soon

Now if this problem is important to you (it's easily handled by simply adding one before entering the number), then just load the unit with 2.50. It will clear whatever you have, but otherwise there's no problem.

On the other hand, I for one will instead wait for 3.11, which probably will take care of the problem, without clearing all settings etc.

Anders