eTrex modification?

You can get an external antenna for any GPS model without modifying your receiver or voiding your warranty.

You can get a re-radiating antenna that takes 3 AA batteries. Check out PC-Mobile and a review of the antennas they sell.

We bought just the re-radiating part since we already owned 3 external antennas for our Garmin GPS V receivers. Cost $29 including shipping and got it within a week. Works great with our Geko 201 stowed far away from any satellite coverage.

Cheval

I would imagine of the antenna. If you had it on a hat and stuffed the gps in your backpack it would only be 'off' a about a foot or two - and given the accuracy of a gps anyway, that's negligble, IMO.

Cheval - I was thinking of using a passive antenna and stuffing a jack in the gps somewhere that just connected to the antenna solder points of the circuit board. There are design plans out there for cheap passive antennae for free... But thank you, that is something to consider...

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.