EasyGPS probs

Guest MajBach

Guest MajBach

I am having difficulties with EasyGPs [Groundspeak Edition of course. I want to download ALL of the caches in my province from geocache.com website. However, since it only displays 25 at a time, I can only have .loc files for EasyGPS that contain 25 caches. Since there are several hundred, EasyGPS opens each one individually instead of merging or combining them. And since it receives waypoints from the GPS unit before uploading each .loc file, it takes a long time.

I tried combining all 12 .loc fles I d/l'ed into one file using a text editor; being careful of course to have the initial header only once. EasyGPS STILL only recognizes the first 25 caches. Is there a way around this?

------------------

You can't have everything.

Where would you put it?

Guest Park2

There is a slightly easier way, when you download the 25 waypoints into EasyGPS, download another 25 into another window inside EasyGPS. Tile the view so you see both windows, then highlight all the points in one windon and drag them into the other. You can do this a few times and get all your waypoints into one *.loc file. now just upload that to your GPS in one transfer.

but I still don't know how to download more than 25 points at a time into EasyGPS from the GC website.

Guest infosponge

I usually just send each of the smaller files from EasyGPS (well, really ExpertGPS) to the GPS 25 at a time, and then pull them out of the GPS into a new file to get the complete set in one file.

It would be nice if Easy/Expert GPS had a "merge" option which let you splice together waypoints in the open windows.

Or better yet, if geocaching.com let you download a single file of all the waypoints in a particular result set. Maybe that will be one of the membership features?

Guest Mopar

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

It would be nice if Easy/Expert GPS had a "merge" option which let you splice together waypoints in the open windows.

Just do as Park2 explained above. Then save the combined file.

Guest MajBach

infosponge: I want to e-mail you direct something off topic. Your e-mail is not showing here, can you give me an e-mail so I can reply to you direct?

Thanks

majbach@sympatico.ca

Quote by exConn.................................

Another option is to use GeoBuddy.

Open your 12 .loc files in GeoBuddy and then simply hit Merge under the File menu. You can then save the file in several formats...

When I check out the Geobuddy web site there are many references to that "G" word. Before I spend too much time investigating, does Geobuddy work as well as you claim on Magellan units? I'm using a 315 and a Merigold.

quote:
Originally posted by MajBach:

And since it receives waypoints from the GPS unit before uploading each .loc file, it takes a long time.

------------------

Where would you put it?

Are you sure this is happening? It should be EITHER sending or receiving, not doing both at the same time.

Greg

N 39°54.705'

W 77°33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster:

When I check out the Geobuddy web site there are many references to that "G" word. Before I spend too much time investigating, does Geobuddy work as well as you claim on Magellan units? I'm using a 315 and a Merigold.

Would you be referring to "Garmin"? I have two Garmin units, but don't get too uptight--I'm not a fundamentalist Garminite. GeoBuddy exists precisely because Garmin couldn't or wouldn't do what I wanted--co-exist with other software.

Will GeoBuddy work with your Magellan? Depends on what software you use. I am currently in the middle of redesigning and rewriting GeoBuddy from the ground up to be less Garmin-centric. Plan on seeing the first versions in beta around May 1.

p.s. I'm actually considering a merigold for my next unit so that I can use SD memory instead of over-priced proprietary memory.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster:

Jeepster,

GeoBuddy is a waypoint manager, so it depends more on what software you are using to transfer waypoints to your GPS rather than the actual GPS unit itself.

GeoBuddy outputs several formats:

EasyGPS Waypoint File

HTML File

MapSource Waypoint File

MapSource Tracks File

OziExplorer Import File

Comma-Separated Values

Quoted Comma-Separated Values

Streets & Trips CSV

And it looks like lots more output formats are coming.

Bottom line: If the software you are using to transfer waypoints uses one of the formats above, then you can use GeoBuddy to get waypoints onto your Magellan.

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

QUOTE]

Are you sure this is happening? It should be EITHER sending or receiving, not doing both at the same time.

Greg

N 39°54.705'

W 77°33.137'

It doesn't do this simontaneously [sp?]. What it does do is read the waypoints from the GPS everysingle time before I send them. I.E. , if I am sending one waypoint to the gps that already has 600, it reads those 600 first; even if I just download all the waypoints from the GPS first. Seems kind of redundant. I suppose it is sort of a safety featue to ensure you do not overwrite any waypoints. But it takes awhile, even at max baud.

where would you put it?

TresOkies & exConn,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll invest the time to learn the software after next week. And, I'll be watching for the May 1st version.

Actually, my partiality to Magellan comes from a very good source ... you see, my wife bought me my first unit a little over two years ago. And, she did a very deep investigation of which unit to buy ... she asked the store clerk. Since questioning her choice now would place a severe strain on our marriage ( I'd have to do my own cooking ), I'm a very happy "M" man.

Thanks again,

-Jeepster

Road kill on the information highway ...