How much memory do I need?

I'm looking at the SporTrac Map unit and I understand that the memory cannot be expanded by a the use of a card. I feel like I would like to download some topos for use during geocaching, but I don't know how much space they take up. The max I will be hitting is 1-2 sites on the weekends and maybe up to 10 when we go on vacation. Will the build in memory on this GPS be enough? Also some sites list the internal memory on the sportrac map as 4mb and some say 6. Which one is it? Thanks for the help.

I would guess that 4mb would be fine for weekend use, but would be kind of a pain to be loading maps so often. I have the Sportrak Pro and have about 1/2 of California loaded in and that pretty much maxes out my memory (which is 23mb available space).

I believe the 4mb is the available space and the 6mb is the total space of which 2mb is used by the base map. The basemap on the Pro is 9mb. The total space on the Pro is 32mb giving you 23mb usable space.

I would guess that unless you are planning on taking a notebook with you on vacation (so that you could change maps) I'd think you'd find the Map's 4mb a bit too limiting.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"