How is the Magellan Sportrak?

There are lots of reviews and comments on this unit around. Depending on what you want to use it for, it may or may not be the perfect unit. A search on this forum, www.gpsinformation.net, and the magellan yahoo group for that unit will turn up a wealth of information.

I personally wouldn't buy a "SporTrak" when the small price upgrade to even the "SporTrak Map" gets you, well, maps. The next step up to "SporTrak Map Pro" gets you more maps. (As a first unit, I'm assuming your considering neither the SporTrak Map Color nor the newy announced SporTrak Map Topo, right?) While I've never hunted with the base unit, all the mapping units in that family are very capable models.

As an aside, I think the person that gave a non-mapping unit the same basic name as the family of units that do mapping should probably be smacked around a little.

I have the SporTrak Map Pro, and love it. It's been very accurate, easy to use, and has more detailed maps than the SporTrak Map, as well as more memory available for future map uploads.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

Here's another vote for the Sportrak Map. I just can't believe how much better this works than my '94 vintage Magellan Trailblazer. It locks onto six birds from inside my living room--just amazing! Easy to use, works great with EasyGPS with the *included* PC cable, it even comes with batteries. Get one!

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."--Sherlock Holmes

SporTraks are great. This can get to be "for a little more this" and "a little more that", but you should also take a look at these refurbished Meridian Platinums for $179. They share many features and a similar menu structure, but the big advantage is expandable memory that would give you some room to grow. The Plat also has a larger base map and an electronic compass--nice, though not essential features.

Hidden costs with both Meridians and SporTraks are for the mapping software, which greatly enhances their usefulness. And you would probably want to buy an SD memory card for the Meridian. But you can wait on those expenses if you wish, and start caching with the basic unit.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt