Garmin Etrex Line: SoftWare Upgrade

Back in the 60's, when IBM had a computer range called System 360, running OS 360 (of course), the number of bugs in the operating system was about constant during the lifetime of the program. Each bug fix introduced about the same number of new bugs.

I don't know why I came to think about that now?

Anders

Is it just me or are some of these a little strange:

quote:
Changes made from version 2.25 to 2.26:

Increased measure distance field on map page to 5 characters instead of 4.

Fixed shutdown problem with negative elevations on the GPS elevation menu option.

Resolved diamonds displaying in location and turn configurable field.

Allowed trailing zeros to be entered on the calculator accessory.

Added GPVTG NMEA sentence.

Improved functionality of the yards distance mode.

Corrected the output of the heading NMEA sentence.

348_2702.gif

Originally posted by Buckaroo Banzai:

Why does Garmin setup Beta testing releases for Mapsource updates, but leaves us to do the Alpha testing on the GPS frimware updates?

QUOTE]

Here's my guess. PC testing can be done in their lab under the same conditions you use at home. GPS testing requires field testing under lots of different conditions with so many diffent hardware models. It's hard to duplicate that in Kansas for example where Garmin is located. I mean how would they check the altimeter in the Vista v- Kansas is flat!

icon_wink.gif

I agree with you about the "safety" element in using new software in the field. That's why I wait for others to test it. Certainly you shouldn't use new equipment or software on a complicated hunt where relying on it could mean getting lost or in other potentially dangerous situations if the GPS fails. Use proven equipment and software.

Just my thoughts.

Alan

Originally posted by Buckaroo Banzai:

Why does Garmin setup Beta testing releases for Mapsource updates, but leaves us to do the Alpha testing on the GPS frimware updates?

QUOTE]

Here's my guess. PC testing can be done in their lab under the same conditions you use at home. GPS testing requires field testing under lots of different conditions with so many diffent hardware models. It's hard to duplicate that in Kansas for example where Garmin is located. I mean how would they check the altimeter in the Vista v- Kansas is flat!

icon_wink.gif

I agree with you about the "safety" element in using new software in the field. That's why I wait for others to test it. Certainly you shouldn't use new equipment or software on a complicated hunt where relying on it could mean getting lost or in other potentially dangerous situations if the GPS fails. Use proven equipment and software.

Just my thoughts.

Alan