MapSource MetroGuide version 5

Any speculation why Garmin changed autorouting from PC and receiver, to PC only? Seems that this is something good that has been subtracted. What would be the reason I wonder. I much prefer MetroGuide to City Select when trying to get around in the smaller cities, but now to lose my V's autorouting ability on this software sucks! Garmin......What were you thinking?!?!?!

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by Alphawolf:

Any speculation why Garmin changed autorouting from PC and receiver, to PC only? Seems that this is something good that has been subtracted. What would be the reason I wonder. I much prefer MetroGuide to City Select when trying to get around in the smaller cities, but now to lose my V's autorouting ability on this software sucks! Garmin......What were you thinking?!?!?!

Hadn't noticed this yet. If that's the case, I'll reload a previous version. I keep Metroguide loaded on 1 of my units to have the autorouting available. I also prefer Metroguide to City Select in some cases. icon_eek.gif

"Gimpy"

--N2GLS--

quote:

Any speculation why Garmin changed autorouting from PC and receiver, to PC only? Seems that this is something good that has been subtracted. What would be the reason I wonder. I much prefer MetroGuide to City Select when trying to get around in the smaller cities, but now to lose my V's autorouting ability on this software sucks!

The new MetroGuide maps are from NavTech, same as City Select/Navigator. So if you have City Select anyway there's no reason to also get the newest MetroGuide - the maps are the same and you lose the autorouting.

Since the maps are now the same, the City Select/Nav and MetroGuide products are only differentiated by their features; in particular the autorouting support. Once Garmin decided to use NavTech as their sole map supplier for these products it makes sense for the autorouting on the GPSR to go away for MG. This is the way it has been for the European maps where NavTech has been the supplier for some time. In the US the reason MG supported auto-routing on the SP III and GPS V was because NavTech had major holes in their coverage of rural areas so Garmin needed to use the TeleAtlas maps in MG to fill that gap. Now that NavTech has more reasonable rural coverage it's probably more economical for Garmin to use them exclusively.

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

quote:

Any speculation why Garmin changed autorouting from PC and receiver, to PC only? Seems that this is something good that has been subtracted. What would be the reason I wonder. I much prefer MetroGuide to City Select when trying to get around in the smaller cities, but now to lose my V's autorouting ability on this software sucks!

The new MetroGuide maps are from NavTech, same as City Select/Navigator. So if you have City Select anyway there's no reason to also get the newest MetroGuide - the maps are the same and you lose the autorouting.

Since the maps are now the same, the City Select/Nav and MetroGuide products are only differentiated by their features; in particular the autorouting support. Once Garmin decided to use NavTech as their sole map supplier for these products it makes sense for the autorouting on the GPSR to go away for MG. This is the way it has been for the European maps where NavTech has been the supplier for some time. In the US the reason MG supported auto-routing on the SP III and GPS V was because NavTech had major holes in their coverage of rural areas so Garmin needed to use the TeleAtlas maps in MG to fill that gap. Now that NavTech has more reasonable rural coverage it's probably more economical for Garmin to use them exclusively.

Ummmm, am I missing something here? You're saying the maps are IDENTICAL between CITY SELECT and METROGUIDE 5?

I don't think this is the case. I have the lastest CITY SELECT and in rural areas only major highways are shown. METROGUIDE (the previous version) has EVERY road detailed in rural areas. For example when I select CITY SELECT for my home town there's a dot with one highway running through it. When I select METROGUIDE suddenly hundreds of streets are shown. Even the roads in the cemeteries and appartment complexes.

Are you saying METROGUIDE 5 strips ALL that detail away? The sales pitch of METRO is that it provides that missing detail. I'm confused.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

My spot checks of a few small rural towns showed the same streets in CS 4.01 and MG 5. However, since MG 5 is newer I wouldn't be surprised if there are some updates included by NavTech beyond what's in CS 4.01. But presumably on a going-forward basis future releases of these products will be identical and differentiated by the auto-routing feature.