GPS connected to digital video camera

Paul Ag

Out of curiousity, since I got the digital camera set up to put the coordinates on the image, can the same thing be done to a digital video camera?

Does a digital video camera store the capture time like the normal carmera does? Is there software out there like oziphoto to hook the two together? Or are there scripting video cameras out there?

That would be cool to run a avi file and while it runs, a route on a map is created of where the image was taken. I know companies (3M) are doing this but has it filter down to the little guys.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

quote:
Originally posted by SpongeRob:

Not sure how easy that would be to do. You would have to "Merge" the GPS data into the video stream going to your video tape DAC (Providing it's a digital camcorder). I'm not aware of any consumer video cameras that can take multiple video streams and merge them into a single stream.

It can't be that hard. Of course I know nothing about programming. It has to be digital camcorder for the timestamp.

When you download the camcorder file to the computer, is a timestamp on the file type (avi, whatever)? I figured a oziphoto type of software can link the two together so any camcorder should work. I think I saw someone selling a program like this for $200 + that can handle images, notes, and avi files, I think.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag