Delorme Topo 4

I know a few weeks ago some members were asking about seeing Delorme Topo 4 listed on Amazon. I e-mailed Delorme last night and just received confirmation from them that version 4 WILL BE RELEASED in 4 to 6 weeks. I was just getting ready to buy version 3. Glad I didn't. Just thought everyone would like to know.

No, they did not say what was different. Here is the e-mail I received:

"Dear Dave,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

We are in fact planning on releasing the Topo USA 4.0 within the next 4-6 weeks. Please keep an eye on our website.

Thank you for your inquiry."

Sincerely,

Jonathan Braden

DeLorme Mapping

Yarmouth, Maine

www.DeLorme.com

1-800-561-5105

I'm sooooo glad I e-mailed them before buying v3. Now we'll have to see what's different.

Grrr...that really ticks me off, seeing as I just got 3.0 in late December as a gift.

Seeing as it doesn't support my Meridian very well, I won't be in a rush to upgrade unless they have some really significant features that I can't live without.

I've been using ExpertGPS more and more and Topo USA 2.0/3.0 less and less. Topo USA has 3-d features (not that important in Florida) and lots of data, but for geocache mapmaking/planning and waypoint management, ExpertGPS is hard to beat.

There is a patch you can download from the Delorme Website that adds the additional funtionality for the Magellan units. I have been able to get all features to work on both my MeriGold and my 315.

I got mine in late January. Having a major upgrade so soon after the 3.0 release is a real pain in the A** (butt). I really want to know what features would prompt such an update and I darn sure hope recent buyers will get an EXTRA discount.

geosign.gif

That patch didn't work for me. Not a high priority for me to puzzle through it though, since ExpertGPS does a kick a** job of data management.

quote:
Originally posted by Ranz:

There is a patch you can download from the Delorme Website that adds the additional funtionality for the Magellan units. I have been able to get all features to work on both my MeriGold and my 315.

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

There's some information on version 4.0 on DeLorme's website at: http://www.delorme.com/topousa/

I just took a look at it on DeLorme's website. One feature that I noticed that looks very cool is:

quote:
Delorme:

Topo USA 4.0 lets you be the mapmaker. Create automatic routes along streets or trails from metro areas to mountaintops. Add your own routable roads, trails, searchable lines, shapes, annotations, symbols, and more.

This will be a nice feature. Map data is not always up to date so it will be nice to have the ability to add to the maps.

I also notice that the 3D map on the front of the cover is the east part of Salt Lake City and the Wasatch Mountains. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

There's some information on version 4.0 on DeLorme's website at: http://www.delorme.com/topousa/

I just took a look at it on DeLorme's website. One feature that I noticed that looks very cool is:

quote:
Delorme:

Topo USA 4.0 lets you be the mapmaker. Create automatic routes along streets or trails from metro areas to mountaintops. Add your own routable roads, trails, searchable lines, shapes, annotations, symbols, and more.

This will be a nice feature. Map data is not always up to date so it will be nice to have the ability to add to the maps.

I also notice that the 3D map on the front of the cover is the east part of Salt Lake City and the Wasatch Mountains. icon_biggrin.gif

It looks like they've added split screen views of 2d/3d data, which is nice, I guess. Plus they'll link you up with color SPOT imagery for $99 per state/region, which is very very cool, but expensive.

I wonder if there will be upgrade pricing for all of us suckers...er...customers...that just got 3.0 recently.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:...

I wonder if there will be upgrade pricing for all of us suckers...er...customers...that just got 3.0 recently.

All I could find was this:

End User Upgrade Policy

If a new version of a DeLorme software product is released within thirty (30) days of your purchase date of an older version, you may purchase the new version at a discount with proof of purchase of the older version. Prices vary with product. This offer cannot be combined with any other special offer. Please contact our Customer Service Representatives at 1.800.511.2459 for pricing details and information on how to obtain an upgrade.

http://www.delorme.com/help/#upgrades

OK, this whole thing is starting to really cheese me off. icon_smile.gif

I guess I'm just annoyed that they showered me with offers in my mailbox in December to buy 3.0 (I'm a long-time customer), knowing full well that a few months later they were coming out with 4.0. And then they only offer a 30-day upgrade discount.

That...just...stinks...

It would be nice if they offered a "you were suckered by our marketing department" discount. icon_frown.gif

OK, this whole thing is starting to really cheese me off. icon_smile.gif

I guess I'm just annoyed that they showered me with offers in my mailbox in December to buy 3.0 (I'm a long-time customer), knowing full well that a few months later they were coming out with 4.0. And then they only offer a 30-day upgrade discount.

That...just...stinks...

It would be nice if they offered a "you were suckered by our marketing department" discount. icon_frown.gif

I have not even bought Topo 3 and I am upset at the way Topo 4 just appeared. icon_mad.gif I have been a long time Delorme customer but I am seriously considering dropping all their products because of stunts like this. It is not the first time I have been on the receiving end of their marketing ploys. However, I have a question/request to ask; Could someone who has Delorme Topo 3 and NatGeo Topo post an example of the end product? Since NatGeo Topo is much more expensive I would like to see an example of the their maps. Thanks.

[This message was edited by Growley on March 10, 2002 at 04:19 PM.]

I have not even bought Topo 3 and I am upset at the way Topo 4 just appeared. icon_mad.gif I have been a long time Delorme customer but I am seriously considering dropping all their products because of stunts like this. It is not the first time I have been on the receiving end of their marketing ploys. However, I have a question/request to ask; Could someone who has Delorme Topo 3 and NatGeo Topo post an example of the end product? Since NatGeo Topo is much more expensive I would like to see an example of the their maps. Thanks.

[This message was edited by Growley on March 10, 2002 at 04:19 PM.]