Magellan Gold vs. eTrex Venture

Njal

I’m just getting into geocaching and have been looking for a good, durable GPS. I originally tried out Magellan’s GPSCompanion for the Palm m515. I liked the basic functionality, but was concerned about the durability. I picked both eTrex Venture and the Magellan Gold so I could do a head-to-head comparison. Here’s what I found:

Etrex Venture: icon_smile.gifLikes: unit ergonomics (size, easy one-hand operations), the screen was smaller but the details were sharp, and the screens seemed well designed. The buttons weren’t obvious but easy to learn. icon_frown.gifAnnoyances: It seemed to take several extra clicks to enter waypoints/use screen features, tracking against the roads in the base maps was somewhat inaccurate, it seemed somewhat sensitive to tree cover and would occasionally loose satellite signal. The time it takes for acquire satellite fix was consistently longer than the Magellan and noticeably longer than advertised.

Magellan Gold: icon_smile.gifLikes: good screen design, relatively quick to acquire satellite fix (3D), buttons were obvious, waypoints were easy (easier) to enter. The unit kept good satellite lock even in tree cover.

icon_frown.gifAnnoyances: Unit size, screen sharpness (a function of the pixel size), too many screens to toggle through.

Is this consistent with others who have used these products?

quote:
Originally posted by Njal:

too many screens to toggle through.

The screens you don't want can be turned off in the menu. You can narrow it down to one or two screens if you want.

There aren't many who will diagree, the Meridian has much better receiption under cover or in terrain.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Njal:

Magellan Gold:

icon_frown.gifAnnoyances: Unit size, screen sharpness (a function of the pixel size), too many screens to toggle through.

Did you try adjusting the detail and the contrast?

I am EXTREMELY happy with my Meridian Gold.

You will really appreciate the larger viewing screen when you're driving your car.

(You might be telling yourself you won't use your GPS while driving, but you will )

Two othe advantages, rarely mentioned, are the raised frame that protects the viewing screen and the rubber coating of the unit.

The size of the unit only seems large when you're holding it next to a smaller one. In a short time it becomes very easy to operate the unit with one hand.

I've never owned the Garmin unit but I can tell you, with great confidence, that if you get a Meridian Gold you are going to be VERY happy.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

I haven't used the Magellan Gold yet. A geocacher in the area likes his, but I just purchased what I think it the closest Garmin to the Gold: The GpsMap 76. I've been very happy with it. It's larger like the gold, but very light and the battery life is great. It also receives signals much better than any of the eTrex models (bigger antenna I guess). Also, the screen is nice and big. But you have to get some of the maps (in my opinion). The MapSource maps are VERY accurate, where the basemap is not.

I also use the GPSV in the car, and it's great to have the turn-by-turn directions on the GPSV to the vicinity of the cache, and then get out of the car with the 76 with TOPO maps loaded.

Just my $0.02.