What are the differences in Medidian GPS units?

PATHer

I see that there are several types of basic Magellan Meridian GPS units on E-bay and advertised here for sale; however, when I go to Magellan's site, the only have one listed with a list price of $239.99.

WHat are the Yellow and Green models advertised and are they for all intents the same as the one that is shown on Magellan's web site?

Thanks in advance

I just purchased my first GPS and only have limited knowledge about GPS units, with that in mind.

This chart may help you in confirming what you see on ebay and how many different models are available.

http://www.offroute.com/gps-compare.html

I recently purchased the basic meridian (yellow). The yellow and green are the same, just different color case. Paid $100 at outpost.com It only has a 2M base map but I added a 256M SD card to download Mapsend information.

http://shop2.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&query_string=gps

Sam's Club has the Sportrak® Map GPS for $250 (comes with Mapsend)

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?n=0&oidPath=0%3a-23542%3a-23595%3a-24553%3a-24556%3a693079&coe=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0022507376.1047786340_CS_&BV_EngineID=ccceadchkhiljhdcfkfcfkjdgoodfkf.0

PS- The MeriYellow seems to be a great unit. Works in the car and in the house. Outside it usually shows 8 birds full strength, inside I get 3-4 half strength more if I move close to a window. Looks like all the models use the same antenna and from what I see it must be a good one. I've marked several waypoints and checked them days later and they read right on.

I can only answer some of your ?s because I just started shopping as well...There is no difference between the yellow and green other than the face plate colors. somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that,but I think it's as simple as that. You can get those for $119.00 at outpost.com. This is the one I am leaning towards,for the price and the features it suits me perfect as a beginner.

The small 2MB basemap of the Meridian Yellow/green has some "negative" effects even if you use MapSend detailed maps: the database (cities, streets..) is located in the basemap; in the 2MB basemap smaller cities and streets are not existent and this affects all database searches. The detailed map comes in when zooming in; so in short you cannot make a MeriGold by adding SDCard and Mapsend to a MariYellow.

Read this message of an experienced user:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=KkKaa.21616%24F1.1339%40sccrnsc04.

Regards, Ed

Never really concerned myself with it before, but after reading this post I did a small experiment.

Part 1:

Loaded the same S&D map to both my STPro(9mb base map) and Merigreen(2mb base map). The difference in the base maps is clear at all map scales as to details. In the test area, a large reservoir, streams, and small cities are not visible on the Merigreen. With the detail map loaded, and map detail set to highest, the base map difference is still visible--no lake, cities, etc. on the green. At map scale 1.6 miles and closer, all details from the detail map look the same, except for base map differences. Still no lake, etc.

Part 2:

Loaded the Maggies with the same area from TOPO. This time, base map differences were less obvious at 1.6 miles and under because the TOPO map included the lake, so it was visible on the Merigreen.

Interesting that S&D shows the lake but does not include it into the map. What if the lake was a destination? icon_biggrin.gif

In the end, I guess it depends on your needs and perhaps on how much cash you have to burn as to whether you need a large base map or can make do with the details provided by S&D or TOPO.

don

Okay, so I was thinking about buying a yellow, but I'm confused. Are you saying that the map detail is different between the yellow and the gold regardless of whether you're using the same map? Or...is it only different at broader zoom levels and the same at high zoom levels?

Thanks.

I think Don's saying that when you are looking at the basemap displays, you will see a difference between the two. If you have detail maps loaded, they will kick in once you zoom to a certain level, and then they would be identical. I guess that's your latter interpretation.

If you did not have a detail map available, then the base map would stay in the display to the closest zoom level.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

AFAIK: if zoomed in and the detailed map takes over you will have the same details on the screen od a Yellow or a Gold; the difference is when zoomed out.

Here some citation from the FAQ ch 6:

"The 16MB US version...of the base map contains the following: boundaries of all US states, almost all US cities and towns, the entire US interstate system, most major state highways, all medium-sized lakes in the US, US National

parks."..."The Meridian green/yellow comes with a 2MB base map which lacks most of the detail of its bigger 16Mb brother. 2MB maps are not available in a marine version.

Even if a detailed map if loaded, it is the base map that is shown if the map screen is zoomed out – the base map gives you your “bird’s eye” view. If you have a detailed map loaded, but have poor base map coverage, then it is

possible to see the streets of a city, but not be able to see the name of the city itself."

I think you have to decide if this is important for you; if you come later to the decision you need a better basemap you have to buy the WorldWide BaseMap costing more than the difference to the Gold. IMHO in the long run the Gold is the better choice.

Just my personal opinion, Ed

So if you load a detailed map, the unit must still use the basemap when you're zoomed out?...and adding a detailed map does not increase the detail when zoomed out?

Is this why the yellow looks different than the higher end meridians?

Thanks.