MacCMConvert - beta testers needed

JeremyA

Hi,

I have been using Smittyware's CacheMate software on my Palm for paperless geocaching. This software is great but, as a Mac user, getting geocache information onto the Palm is a little more difficult. Cachemate comes with a windows converter for loc/gpx files, or you can download a UNIX application called CMConvert. After downloading and building CMConvert I could never remember what I needed to type into the terminal to get it to work. This meant reading the manual pages every time I wanted to use it.

So I made myself a little Applescript Studio application that does all the hard work for me. The working title of this application is MacCMConvert. It is very easy to install (just drag it to where you want it), easy to use, and it looks and feels just like a Mac OS X application.

Thinking that this might be useful to others I am looking for some beta testers to try it out on their system. In order for this application to be useful to you you need to be a registered user of CacheMate (it only costs $7), and have a Mac running Mac OS X.

If anyone here is interested in beta testing it please email me.

thanks,

JeremyA

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:

Here are the steps to get it to work:

1) go to http://www.jfatherton.co.uk/MacCMConvert/

2) download MacCMConvert

3) Unstuff it

4) Double-click the MacCMConvert icon

5) it will ask for your admin pw, enter it there

6) that's it.

You need to be running OSX but it's pretty easy, just use the same admin PW you use when installing any software.

~robert

http://www.cachegear.com

http://www.mdgps.net<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what I did. I've been running OS X since 2001. Currently I'm running 10.2.6 and I am the Admin. When I went to install MacCMConvert I entered my password, and it told me I needed Admin privelelges to install this software. So I thought, ok maybe it's exremely picky and needs root admin, so I logged in a root admin and that still did not allow me to install. I'm kind of baffled. Going to consult a friend who is a Mac IT person and hopefully get around this.icon_confused.gif

Thank you for your help. icon_smile.gif

All I get is a nice friendly AppleScript error when I hit convert.

'The variable scriptOut is not defined. (-2753)'

It did not ask for admin password so it is probably something I had did before and not your script. I had done some stuff with expat a while back that didn't work so that lib is probably the cause.

FarSideX

Took tupperware container - Left nothing.

mtnmunch, Monkeybrad and anyone else who has tried MacCMConvert and found the same problem:

I have tracked down the problem and uploaded a patched version of MacCMConvert to my website. Please let me know if you are still having problems.

FarSideX:

I am sure that I can fix expat for you... email me and I will let you know what to do.

Jeremy