RINO 110

Brasileiro

I used a rino 110 lastnight and found a few interesting things. I was under the impression that the 110 was a FRS radio only but I found that it is both a FRS and a GMRS radio. I also found that the peer-to-peer positioning can only be used with the FRS channels (1-14), that means Peer-to-peer will only work up to 2 mile(depending on terain conditions.) At least I tried to use peer-to-peer in the GMRS channels and it wouldn't work.

Rino users,

Does the Rino allow you to use those face symbols ( icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_frown.gificon_mad.gif ) from your Contacts as the symbol in a waypoint? I'm trying to determine if I need to add those symbols to EasyGPS.

If so, I'd be very interested in hearing from any Rino owner who would be willing to run some tests with EasyGPS or ExpertGPS.

TIA,

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com/

quote:
Does the Rino allow you to use those face symbols ( icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_frown.gificon_mad.gif ) from your Contacts as the symbol in a waypoint? I'm trying to determine if I need to add those symbols to EasyGPS.

There are 99 different symbols to use for waypoints

quote:

If so, I'd be very interested in hearing from any Rino owner who would be willing to run some tests with EasyGPS or ExpertGPS.

I just downloaded the EasyGPS icon_smile.gif and haven't used it much, but am interested in getting to know it better.

quote:
Originally posted by TopoGrafix:

Rino users,

Does the Rino allow you to use those face symbols ( icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_frown.gificon_mad.gif ) from your Contacts as the symbol in a waypoint? I'm trying to determine if I need to add those symbols to EasyGPS. ...

Well yes/no/maybe. These points appear only after sent from another Rino unit. After that they're accessable almost like any other waypoint. When selecting waypoints they appear on a seperate contact list from the waypoints. When searching for nearest, however, contacts and waypoints are listed together.

quote:
Originally posted by TopoGrafix:

...If so, I'd be very interested in hearing from any Rino owner who would be willing to run some tests with EasyGPS or ExpertGPS.

I have a pair of Rino 120 GPSs and EasyGPS. How can I help? I'd also be glad to test ExpertGPS interface with Rinos if supplied a copy of the software.

BTW... I have been able to download from EasyGPS without any problems.

quote:
Originally posted by brasileiro:

I used a rino 110 last night and found a few interesting things. I was under the impression that the 110 was a FRS radio only but I found that it is both a FRS and a GMRS radio. ...

The original specifications only had GMRS on the 120. Garmin apparently decided to release the 110 with the GMRS option also.

quote:

...I also found that the peer-to-peer positioning can only be used with the FRS channels (1-14), that means Peer-to-peer will only work up to 2 mile(depending on terrain conditions.) At least I tried to use peer-to-peer in the GMRS channels and it wouldn't work.

To quote the Rino setup screen...

"The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) frequencies are regulated by the FCC. In order to transmit on these frequencies you are required to obtain a license from the FCC. ..."

Followed by...

"Channels 15-22 are now GMRS enabled. Location sending on these channels is disabled because it is prohibited by the FCC."

My bet is that Garmin would of liked to have location sending on GMRS frequencies also.

FYI... The GMRS license is a family license (only on needed per family). You can apply on-line. The cost is $75 for 5 years.

To quote the Rino setup screen...

"The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) frequencies are regulated by the FCC. In order to transmit on these frequencies you are required to obtain a license from the FCC. ..."

Followed by...

"Channels 15-22 are now GMRS enabled. Location sending on these channels is disabled because it is prohibited by the FCC."

Audiovox has a combination two way radio/gps on their website www.audiovox.com that does transmit your position via the GMRS frequency(model GMR-GPS. At least according to their advertisement. Hmmm I wonder how come Garmin can't?

quote:
Originally posted by sharpshutr:

...Audiovox has a combination two way radio/gps on their website http://www.audiovox.com that does transmit your position via the GMRS frequency(model GMR-GPS. At least according to their advertisement. Hmmm I wonder how come Garmin can't?

I wonder if there advertisement is correct. If so, I want to forward it to Garmin. Everyone should be playing with the same rules.

Personally I'd like location transfer to be an open standard that could be shared for manufacture to manufacture.

The Garmin Rino's were advertised to be released way back in April. I am wondering if the cause for them being pushed back to May, then June, then September, and Finally October/November, is that they were having troubles with the FCC allowing them transfer data across a voice frequency?

quote:
Originally posted by KD7EDH:

The Garmin Rino's were advertised to be released way back in April. I am wondering if the cause for them being pushed back to May, then June, then September, and Finally October/November, is that they were having troubles with the FCC allowing them transfer data across a voice frequency?

That's my belief!

The FCC still prohibits the location information being sent over the GMRS frequencies and I don't think Garmin is very happy about it. Garmin's disclaimer when activating the GMRS frequencies clearly points to that FCC restriction.

On the other hand & perhaps in part from the above, the release version of the software on my Rinos was 2.03.