What's the "D" in the GPS V sat signal strength bar???

I noticed this last weekend,wondered about it briefly, then promptly forgot all about it. A little "D" appears at the bottom of the bar showing the strength of the signal lock for each sat. Then yesterday I came across a post mentioning how that cacher liked to get all D's in sat lock and a memory flashback was triggered. I checked Garmin's FAQ, Beginner's guide and GPS V manual today without success. Tried a couple searches here, but it's a tough topic to search for...

Thanks for any help,

TCC

...TheCacheCrew...

The little "D" that appears on your signal bar indicates that you are receiving WAAS. If you are getting the "D" you should also be receiving Satellite #35 which is the East Coast WAAS Sat. Shut off WAAS in your setup and you will notice that the "D" will not appear and #35 will be gone as well. Hope this helps.

What was said in previous posts is correct, but to be perfectly anal about it the "D" in your display indicates that you are recieving correction differentials for that satellite. The correction information received has to do with the satellite's positional errors and clock drift as well as atmospheric delays. Besically the "D" means you have information about how much error is in the signal received from that satellite and can therefore calculate a more accurate position. At least in theory. In my experience WAAS causes little or no increase in accuracy. YMMV

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.